Leaking Crimped Transmission Cooler lines

Discussion in 'Non-Ford Engines' started by Maverick Dude, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Maverick Dude

Maverick Dude Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick Two Door 302 C4 LDO
    My transmission cooler lines are leaking at the crimps in my 2008 Chev suburban with 150,000 miles. It's especially bad on cold winter days, leaving a bit if tranny fluid on the ground. I've seen poor-boy solutions where the crimps and hose are cut out, the lines are flared and a section of hose is fitted and hose clamped. Has anyone tried that solution rather than buying new lines with crimped hoses? If so, did they hold long term? Thanks. :stirthepot:

MD

2. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    We have replaced the hose for people when they can't get what they need, it's a matter of cutting the ferrules off, replacing the hose and crimping with a new ferrule. The important piece of the puzzle is using the right hose, we see stuff come in with hose that is not intended for oils and it's just mush. You may have to cut out the hose yourself, some shops won't do it or will charge labor but you can probably have a hydraulic shop make the repairs. In your area it looks like you have Ericks, Kaman (might not be much help) and Kootenay Fluid Power that should be able to help you out.

Maverick Dude likes this.
  3. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    One more option, you can cut the tube at the ferrule and use a bite fitting, it's a compression fitting made for use in hydraulics. Use these with 100R17 hydraulic hose (fabbed by a shop with the right equipment) and never think about them again.

[​IMG]

Maverick Dude likes this.