LOL. People get so upset over our cars.

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Stingrayiii, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Stingrayiii

Stingrayiii Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Ford Maverick 302/auto
    I posted a ad on craigslist to sell my car. In the headline I put 1973 Ford Maverick - Like a mustang - $7500 (Silverado) To help garnish the search results. As some people forget about the little Maverick when searching for a small ford.
    Anyway I got email from some one saying this.
    Like a MUSTANG please????????? Don't berate an AMERICAN icon with a pos that barely sold even miniscule numbers.
    Now usually I just let things like this go, no big deal, but I had to throw out facts to him to shut him up.
    I responded with
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Barely sold huh?
    127,833 Mavericks Sold for 1969.5's == 299,824 Mustangs Sold
    578,914 Mavericks Sold 1970 ======= 191,239 Mustangs Sold
    271,897 Mavericks Sold 1971 ======= 151,484 Mustangs Sold
    254,964 Mavericks Sold 1972 ======= 125,813 Mustangs Sold
    291,675 Mavericks Sold 1973 ======= 134,817 Mustangs Sold
    301,048 Mavericks Sold 1974 ======= 385,993 Mustangs Sold
    162,572 Mavericks Sold 1975 ======= 188,575 Mustangs Sold
    139,687 Mavericks Sold 1976 ======= 187,567 Mustangs Sold
    98,506 Mavericks Sold 1977 ========
    153,173 Mustangs Sold

Do a fact check before you spout off about stuff you don't know about.

I just couldn't resist. Haha.

I wonder why people get so upset over a car?
    Oh well. Just thought I would share my story with you guys.

2. Crazy Larry

Crazy Larry Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, 302, manual trans
    People who bash Mavericks are idiots, and know next to nothing about them.

Kenn and rotorr22 like this.
  3. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    I attend a fair amount of car shows here in Florida and I try to make each Hot Rod POWER TOUR every year.. I can tell you that on the "Tour" when we pull into each stop the cameras are OUT and clicking away when we pull in ..when there are an "abundance" of Mustangs at any show I do notice that there is a flurry of activity and interest around the Maverick and Comet ..the mustang .. not so much.. ANYONE can buy a mustang ... try to FIND a Maverick or Comet today .. lotsa luck !! Let's face it people .. WE are a "select" group of owners .. and it's becoming MoreSo every year.. I like it that way.
    Cometized
    (Chip)

4. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    The 578,914 1970 models includes the 127,833 '69.5 that were also titled as 1970...

To play devils advocate with early Mustang production, there were

121,538 1964½ Mustangs
    559,451 1965(doesn't include above)
    607,568 1966
    472121, 1967
    317,404, 1968

5. Crazy Larry

Crazy Larry Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, 302, manual trans
    Hey, I like Mustangs (and first generation Camaros), but you see them everywhere. They are not as unusual as a Maverick done up nicely. What I hate is how people see a POS Maverick, and therefore (in their minds) all Mavericks are POS.

Mustangs were a more expensive car; they had performance options that were never offered on the Maverick, and they were a bit more luxurious. That being said, they were put together by Ford no differently than the Maverick was. Cheaply manufactured, uni-body cars prone to rust. Same suspension and drive-train designs. I like 'em, but with a few mods to the Maverick, the Mustang is not superior. And as most of us here know, the Maverick out-sold the Mustang. Probably due to its more affordable price tag.

6. Stingrayiii

Stingrayiii Member

Vehicle:
    Somebody has way to much time on their hands. But I do find it entertaining on how miss informed he is.

7. Stingrayiii

Stingrayiii Member

Vehicle:
    It is true though, every time I have taken it to a car show I do get a lot of questions and comments. And they always place me next to the Mustangs. I get a lot more attention usually unless it is a Boss or Shelby.

8. HiPoMavric

HiPoMavric Member

Vehicle:
    !973 Ford Maverick
    I say take the high ground, we are all doing our part be it a mustang or Mav/Com. There are lots of motor mouths out there, i think to myself, Where is your car??? Don't lower yourself to his ignorance.
    Be a proud Ford Man.

9. maverick7072

maverick7072 Member

Vehicle:
    1970-1972 mavericks
    my wife went out of town with a friend to a wedding a couple of yrs ago,while in a small group at the party discusiion of my wife,s husband and his hobbys which is me! she said that I enjoyed old cars and question was asked wht kind of cars do I have ,she responded with ford maverick! She said this one ladies husband just laughed and said no one likes mavericks.Lana told him that actually ther eis a lot of interest in these cars of course he thought that was just dumb.

another time I was at the muffler shop waiting for them to open on a Saturday morning to get the new exhaust under my 70 mav.while still outside I had a car drive up with 2 guys ,one around 50 the other around 21.the older gentlemen said we have been sitting at the store discussing what ur car is the older gentlemen said I believe it to be a maverick but this guy the 21 yrea old swears its a mustang. I just smiled and said its a maverick,the older fella turned and looked at the othe rguy See I told it was amaverick

I also responded to a add on craigslist a couple of yrs back some guy had a 1970 maverick for-sale but no pictures! I asked for pictures sent to my cell phone he did and sent several ,but the car was not a 70 it had bigbumpers my guess was around 74-76 ,I thanked him for sending the pics but I told him I wasn't interested,i started texting me calling me all sorts of ugly names ,well I didn't wann be disrespectful and tell him that the car he had forsale wasn't a 70 but since he was so rude I told him the reason was that his mav isn't a 70 caus eit had big bumpers he told me I didn't know anything about cars and I was a dumbass ,I finally just told him I would pray for him!!

10. NCFatBoy

NCFatBoy Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 Ford Maverick
    Anyone who can't appreciate a piece of American production that's remained in this world for 40 years isn't worth the breath to waste on acknowledging.

11. mvw66gt

mvw66gt Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Comet GT
    Well, you could change the add to "more fun than a Mustang." And tell the guy that unlike the Mustang from 71-73 that grew in size, the Maverick was small, nimble and sporty. My preferred response to guys like that are that opinions are like a-holes and everyone has one and it seems you not only have one but are one. Nothing against Mustangs, I have a couple, but I have much fonder memories of the Maverick and Comet. -Matt

12. 71maverick361

71maverick361 Vern Isaac

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Grabber
    I also have a 66 Mustang Coupe and I still went out and bought my Mav as every show I went to was full of Mustangs!
    I wanted a Ford That was different and you didn't see at every other household here in Texas.

I have only had my Mav a short time but get thumbs ups and interest every where I go.

Attached Files:

13. maverick7072

maverick7072 Member

Vehicle:
    1970-1972 mavericks
    nice looking mustang 71maverick361

14. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    He was probably searching Mustangs and your car came up. To be honest, I hate when people use tags/descriptions that do not apply to what they are selling. It comes across to me a shady advertising and it plugs up the search results. When I search Ford, I don't want a bunch of Chevy junk in the results so I flag them rather than starting an internet fight like your new friend did!

15. 55crownvic

55crownvic Member

Vehicle:
    76 Small Bumpered Maverick(sold), 691/2 Maverick, 55 Ford Club Sedan, 65 Fairlane 500 Hardtop, 1960 Galaxie Club Sedan
    Good job Stingray!!!! I put an ad on craigs looking for a fender for a maverick about 3 years ago, and got a similar message from some idiot, saying I should just crush that old junk because its dangerous and pollutes the air, I promply wrote that idiot back telling him what a jerk he was!!!

Also, one of the reasons I own a Maverick is because its unique and different from all the other junk out there, if you see the rest of the cars I own you would see that ALL my classics are unique and cars that are very rarely seen on the road........I dont want something EVERYBODY owns.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016