Long tubes with drop down bracket

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by x72COMETx, Sep 2, 2014.

1. x72COMETx

x72COMETx Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet, 1972 Mercury comet GT, 1975 mercury comet (RIP), 1974 ford maverick (RIP)
    I bought a pair of long tube headers off summit and they are the summit brand for $130 and i also have the drop down bracket since i have ps, does anybody have any tips and pics of installing the bracket and headers. Thanks

2. ZaksComet

ZaksComet Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet
    When i installed my long tube hooker headers i had to use aftermarket motor mounts to lift my engine to help clear them and had to heat up the headers under the driver side to help the pitman arm clear. Without that i could barely turn left.

Hope this helps

3. GreyGhost74

GreyGhost74 Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Mercury Comet
    First step is to raise the front of the car at least 2 feet, or as high as you can get it.

Next replace the power steering bracket with the dropdown bracket. (You can't go any further until you do this)

Next get an engine lift in place and unbolt one side of the motor (start with the driver side first) . You have to lift the motor anywhere between 2-5 inches. And then slide the headers in from the bottom. It is a very tight fit and WILL NOT work with a column shifter or kick down cable.

At this point you need to lower the engine enough to start threading the bolts in. (Dont forget your gaskets!) This is very difficult and there is very little room. You can shove two larger Allen wrenches in the holes just inside of the outermost on each side just to hold it in place. And there is a certain sequence you have to put the bolts in but its too complicated to explain. Basically you wanna get all the bolts started and slowly tighten them evenly.

(Look for the tube with the sharpest bend coming off the head. I think it's cylinder 6 or 7. You'll know it when you see it. And you'll understand why you have to start with that bolt threaded in some first)

Next lower the engine, and repeat for the other side. Be sure to re bolt that side of the engine before you raise the other. You laugh but it happens, lol...

I had to dent the #3 header to get in to drop down on the passenger side. You may have to play with them a little. (Once again its an extremely tight fit)

I'll try and take pictures if I get a chance. Good luck!!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  4. junrai

junrai Member

Vehicle:
    1972 mercury comet 1972 comet gt
    just dont do this

Attached Files:

5. x72COMETx

x72COMETx Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet, 1972 Mercury comet GT, 1975 mercury comet (RIP), 1974 ford maverick (RIP)
    I have the drop down bracket now and the long tubes are ready, i currently have the engine out of the car so would i be able to drop the headers in and then drop the engine in or do i need to do engine first. Does anybody have any pics of the drop down bracket installed

6. GreyGhost74

GreyGhost74 Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Mercury Comet
    I don't think you can do it without the engine in first. The clearances are tricky, you might risk crushing them if you put the engine in last. Here is a pic of the drop down bracket installed.

20140916_151955.jpg

7. x72COMETx

x72COMETx Member

Vehicle:
    Looks good thank you

8. junrai

junrai Member

Vehicle:
    1972 mercury comet 1972 comet gt
    you can do it either way but its easier to put the headers in BEFORE the motor
    you just have to be careful when are you going to install it? Ive been looking for an excuse to come out since Ive got your addy

9. Bryant

Bryant forgot more than learned

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Maverick
    i find having the drivers side in first then put the motor in then you can put the passenger side in. the passenger side can be put in from the bottom with out having to move the motor around.

10. x72COMETx

x72COMETx Member

Vehicle:
    Got the bracket on and the engine is in just need to hook everything up

11. ZaksComet

ZaksComet Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet
    I would recommend having some really good washers on there or even weld part of it. Pulling into a car show tonight my drop down bracket pulled the nuts through the frame and started smacking against the frame and headers. I drove all summer without a problem.