Looking for Maverick owners in Europe

Discussion in 'Foreign Mavericks' started by Gert Sanders, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Gert Sanders

Gert Sanders El Torro Caminando

Vehicle:
    1974 Mexican Built Maverick
    I'm looking for other owners of Maverick's or Comet's in Europe. As far I can tell, I'm the only one in Belgium with a Maverick. I'm now in the process of getting it ready for using it on the road (it was parked in a garage for the last 8 years).

Anyone owning a Mav or Comet and living in Europe, let me know, I would like to exchange experience and information on getting parts.

Some history on my car:

I'm the third owner. The original owner was a lady who bought it (she was already at an advanced age) and used it exclusivly in the Mexico City area (very dry). The second owner was a cab-driver, who quickly found out it was using much more petrol then the customary VW Beatles. I became the third owner in 1995 and I have the papertrail to confirm the above (original invoice and change of ownerships).

I used it for a year as my primary car while living in Mexico City (I was posted their by my company). Upon moving to another continent, I sent the car back to Belgium (my home country), where it has patiently has been waiting my return. I came back to Belgium in 2002 and for several reasons I had no time to work on the Mav. So the Mav was cleaned once in a while, but never used or even started. Now that I have more time, I can start the "enjoying my Mav" bit. This means a restauration project of sorts.

The plan is to start with cleaning up and finding out what still works. Any replacements will be done when really needed. I'm not out to do a showcase restauration. I have the FORD shop manuals for 1974, but no clue where I could get Mav parts in continental Europe (or UK for that matter).

Anyone interested in hooking up, let me know.

Gert

you can get a view of my car (pictures were made in 2003, will be updated soon):

http://users.skynet.be/fa020823/maverick/Page.html

2. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Howdy and:Welcome:. I find it interesting that the 74 Mexican Mavericks had the same bumpers as the 73 American Mavericks. Plus they still use the metal door data tags. Looks like it is in really great shape. How come there are no heater controls? Not needed?

3. Gert Sanders

Vehicle:
    hi. There is no heater in my car. I never needed it (Mexico City was warm enough all year long). The waterpump has a circuit-connection for the heater I beleive, but it is plugged on my car.

Regarding the bumpers, I think they are stock 1974 bumpers. I say this because the '74 shop manual shows the same bumpers (front and back) as on my car.

I do have a few options: disk brakes in front, sports mirrors, the color is the original "pistache" as mentioned on the original invoice (of the first owner). This seems to be a Mexico only colour as I have not found it in the color table in the shopmanual. Could be a personal choice of the lady who bought it, in any case it was factory painted in this color.

This weekend I will make more pictures of the current state (and update my website). I have already taken out the radiator (first step in getting anything done in the engine compartment it seems).

The fan is in metal and has "Hecho en Mexico" and "FORD" stamped on it. The 302 was made in the Mexico City plant of FORD until I was there (our factory was actually right next to the plant and test track of Ford De Mexico), so they did make the 302 overthere from 1967 onwards (I think).

Gert

4. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I'm positive they are, I was just making an observation. Actually I thought Mexico hung on to the smaller bumpers longer. So did the car come from the factory with no heater or was it removed by a previous owner?

5. Stefan

Stefan Big Cheese Administrator

6. Gert Sanders

Vehicle:
    hi Mavaholic,

the car did nto have the heater installed according to the previous owner, but I can not be sure. It is not mentioned on the invoice as an option so he could be correct. On the other hand he may have remove the parts to help out a friend after he decided to sell the car.

I also bought a red grabber when I was in Mexico and stripped all parts from it. I kept the hood, all glass, leave and coil spring and dashboard. Further I kept all small parts which I could remove from the chassis. Teh engine and transmission of that car were removed before I bought the grabber (for 50 UD). Not sure which year this car was, but it did have smaller bumpers. I have not unpacked all the spare parts I took from that car yet (they were also stored with the car when it was repatriated).

cheers

7. AlfredoV8

AlfredoV8 Member

Vehicle:
    Maverick
    :Welcome: Very nice car, Gert. I'm from Brazil, Rio de Janeiro. I liked very much your car. I have read about a maverick in germany.

Here in Brazil, São Paulo, there was a germany man that was in Brazil at work, and he owed a yellow maverick gt.

So he returned to germany and taked the car in a ship.
    Forgive me about my english erros. Bye.

8. Gert Sanders

Vehicle:
    hi AlfredoV8, I was hoping other people would have done this. I also took my car back after working in Mexico for some time. The Maverick was never imported in Europe, I believe the Comet did see some imports into Europe, but certainly not in my country.

Anyway, do not worry about your English, it's much better then my Portuguese. Whenever I get comments about my skill in a certain language (I speak 5 languages now), I always ask the commentor to reply in my language (Flemisch), and not one ever uttered a word again. As long as we understand each other, that is sufficient to talk about cars right?
    This week I will update my website, so that I can put up the pictures I have been taking of the different parts I cleaned up so far. I'm emptying the engine compartment, and was able to manually turn the crankshaft (yeah !!!!). So the engine is not stuck or blocked on the inside (after not running for almost 9 years). There is good hope the engine will run without a rebuild.

have fun and drive safely.

9. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    If it turns, shouldn't have much problem getting it running. My car sat for 13 years and I had it running within 30 minutes of tinkering with it.

Very intresting Mav you got there. I also see that the dash is a '74 dash made for the glove box, but has the package tray instead like the older cars. Very intresting car.

Looks like a good solid project. Keep us updated!

10. Gert Sanders

Vehicle:
    I'm keeping a blog of the restoration/cleanup. In case someone likes to follow what goes on, you can find the blog here:

http://my1974fordmaverick.skynetblogs.be/

Comments are welcome. I'm trying to record as much info as I can on this car, so any tips or comments are welcome. It's great to be working on this car again after so many years of non-activity on this front.

11. FinnComet

FinnComet Member

Vehicle:
    Mercury Comet 4D (Home Office Reserve) 302 -72
    Have anyone found more European Mavs/Comets or have any new European-members joined to forum? Don't you have more Mavs & Comet in Sweden?
    I have been a little lazy :deadhorse and I haven't yet asked photos from all Finnish owners lately (and website is undone, but some photos you can find from my Fotki-site). Comets and Mavs might be here something like 15pcs... (I have taken photos, collected all selling announcements and talked with owners in local net-forums, friday cruisings, garage parties, etc.)

Of course I have to kick running my "Home Office Reserve"-code Comet. Summer is coming...

12. djaipy81

djaipy81 New Member

Vehicle:
    Maverick Sedan 1974
    Hello,
    At least one Maverick in France, mine! It is a 1974, 4 door, 250ci, imported new to Monte Carlo. I bought it 2 years ago in good condition in Nice, France. Had a few problems with the starter (I have to get a new one or a reconditioned one...any idea where to get it?) , carburator (dirty), speed cable (gear was broken, changed it with help of Autokrafters). Changed 4 tires. New paint. Repaired a crack in the front bench vinyl. Went with it to an american car gathering in Réalmont, south west France last summer. Was the only one with a Maverick. Very nice car. I love it and my sons too. Pictures avalaible.
    Jean Pierre

13. broncoisl

broncoisl Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet 351W
    Hi I'm from Iceland, last time I checked we were part of Europe :).

I remember one or two Maverick guys from England on this board.

As far as I know we still have three 2 door Maverick's one 2 door Comet and one or two 4 door comet's in running condition.

14. Maverick71

Maverick71 New Member

Vehicle:
    Mercury Comet 1972 / Ford Maverick 1971
    I'm from Switzerland and I've got one Maverick and one Comet and they're the only ones in my country, oficial sources (Service des automobiles Suisses à Bâle). Ther's three others Mavericks or Comets in France, :mad: but now they're already not to sold...:huh:
    There's just one here:

http://anciennes.net/annonce.php?n=20182782&rec_nouv=&rec_img=&dr1=&dr2=&dr3=&catrec=2000&rec=comet

And my friend's got a Maverick to sold, here is her message: Sorry, but I haven't got any photograph...

Un ami qui n'a pas Internet m'a demandé de passer cette annonce: il vend une Ford Maverick 1970 pour pièces.
    Pas de CG ni d'intérieur.
    Carrosserie sans rouille, moteur 6 cyl 170 ci en TBE, BA.. Complète (sauf sièges ..). 1300 € à débattre.
    05 59 66 52 63 (dépt 64)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  15. FinnComet

FinnComet Member

Vehicle:
    Mercury Comet 4D (Home Office Reserve) 302 -72