Major set back AGAIN!!

Discussion in 'Other Automotive Tech & Talk' started by blugene, Aug 24, 2014.

1. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer)
    Blew the engine in my work truck today. The engine is not that old, about 1 year 6 months or so. I have only put around 17,ooo miles on the engine.. Something in the pan let go. Other than bolting on the parts I have already purchased I am not going to be able to do anything more. I was beginning to get motivated since I had been spending time out in the garage the last few days trying to get the car put together.
    On the way home from a job today I was glad the job went faster than expected. I was headed to the shop to drop off the trailer and pick up a couple of wheels with tires I had mustered up to put them on the front. Then I was going to come home and call Rick Brooks to set up a meet to pick up a rear end.. Never made it. I sat on the Interstate for a couple of hours waiting on a tow from AAA. Too bummed to think of anything right now..

2. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    Man that sucks, any warranty on the engine?

3. spxer

spxer Member

damn hate to hear that sounds like my luck if not for bad luck i'd have no luck lol

4. blugene

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Only had 1 yr.. Expired. The shop is like 100 miles from me. $2500 tops is what someone pays for rebuild and installed. That is if you need a block at $500. Otherwise it's $2000. Can't beat it but the engine needs to last longer than a yr and 6 months.
    lol.. Luck changed his name on me hahaha

5. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    I had asked in your other thread where you got the motor. Now I see where.

I got a rebuilt motor for my Suburban from Advance Auto Parts. Was using anti-freeze from day one. Pulled a head...#6 cylinder had a crack in the block and was filling the cylinder with anti-freeze. Ran good except for a constant "miss" and a little steam at start up. Only 1200 miles. Got a new engine under warranty last week and had installed. So far....so good.

6. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    Harold has had good luck with the O'Reillys rebuilds...

7. rotorr22

rotorr22 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 F150 XLT/5.0, 2014 Focus 5 spd manual,1974 Maverick Grabber, 1986 Thunderbird Elan 5.0/AOD
    That really stinks! One of our forum members blew up on the interstate coming home from the Ohio Mini Meet in Geneva. Really felt bad for him.

8. Paul Masson

Paul Masson MCCI Atlantic Canada Rep

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber
    Sorry to hear of your troubles, Gene. Are you going to try and fix it, or start looking for another truck? It was a Dodge, wasn't it?

9. mav1970

mav1970 Bob Hatcher

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 393 Cleveland Stroker
    Sorry to hear about your engine, Gene - your luck sounds like the kind of luck that I have had lately :(

10. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    The short block in my car is an O'Reilly reman, .040 over. I spin it routinely to 6500 rpms, and have hit 7000 a couple times.

Seems to be holding up pretty good...so far...

11. Stefan

Stefan Big Cheese Administrator

Sorry to here :(

12. Eastern Raider

Eastern Raider Member

Vehicle:
    1970 maverick ford mustangs 1993 f150
    Learn from it, and survive. I build most all of my engines :tiphat:

13. blugene

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    I don't know what to do.. I need something soon though. Had to use my wife's Trailblazer today. Luckily it was only a service call, which I still did not have everything I needed. Left the dang spare fuses in my truck. Traveled around for over an hour for a 3amp fuse, which I stock in my truck.
    It is a Dodge. That is a factor making me think I should buy a new truck or service vehicle. BUT, I just rebuilt the front end, has lifetime brakes and shocks, new tires, rebuilt trans and it's 4 wheel drive. I hand made the step bars.. Maybe I'm partial because it is the first new vehicle I ever owned.. well.. it was given to me with around 17,000 miles, still smelled new. I have tried my best to take care of it.. It's got over 260,000 on the OD. Ole blue 2012-12-24 13.36.01.jpg

14. kboldin

kboldin Alain De Cadenet Has My Job!

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    Regardless of the written warrantee, I'd at least contact them and see what they have to say. They may even have an unadvertised goodwill budget set aside for breakages just like yours. Can’t hurt to ask.

BTW, that really stinks on ice... Sorry to hear about the troubles.

15. blugene

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    I wish that was a possibility.. I do intend to contact him. Problem is that when they initially finished the rebuild, I went to pick it up and they broke an AC line and he denied it happened there. They hung the compressor attached to the lines on a strap from the hood.. The wound was fresh and I tried the AC before leaving the lot. We ended up almost touching noses at a stand off. I told him I understand stuff happens and he can tell me they are not responsible, but to lie to me and say it didn't happen there pissed me off. He never agreed or stood down.. He told me I over heated my engine and that's why it failed. It has never gotten even hot enough to be a concern even with this failure. He was the one who actually started yelling also to the point all the workers stopped working and were watching. I was also pissed that he threw away my brand new platinum spark plugs when he said he would save them. He would not use them.. He did make good on a rear main seal leak with two days left on the warranty. That was around March 1st.. Two months ago I put in new platinum plugs and coils..