Matco truck - did I over react?

Discussion in 'Tool & Shop Talk' started by Slayer, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Slayer

Slayer Member

Vehicle:
    72 maverick
    Sup guys.
    I had a little issue the other day with my matco tools sales guy. I had issues before this but never as bad as this..... I'd like opinions on if I over reacted.

I'm a diesel mechanic for dolese here in okc.
    Everything we work on here is big....
    The first time I had issues with this gentleman - I was in search of a pneumatic cutting wheel. He had one on the truck ( off brand ) silver eagle.... It was small and 110$. ( I had one in my box that I had paid 30$ for from harbor freight. (Nothing wrong with it - I just wanted a back up).... He assured me that the silver eagle was plenty powerful enough to do what ever I needed.... So I picked it up...
    A weak or so went by before I made an attempt to use the tool.... For our trucks we have 1/4 thick mud flaps. Drivers are always backing over them and ripping them off. So i notch the bolt holes out.... That way they don't tear up the cat walk or fender when it happens - they just pull out.... I tried to use the tool to cut out the notch's and the struggled badly with the task. To the point I had to get my harbor freight one out to finish the job....
    I figured the tool was defective.
    The next week when the tool guy came around I informed him of the issues....
    You could tell he was in defense mode. But I wasn't blaming him until he became insulting over the matter. ( I was gonna ask to credit to the truck and get a more expensive two or $300 version. ) Until he started blaming me and insulting me. He finally got under my skin and I told him - the tools on this truck that cost triple the money are getting out done by harbor frieghts cheap stuff. The harbor freight offers a better warranty.
    Yep.... That did it. He told me if that how I feel go to harbor freight - I simply replied - will do........

After about a week he came to me and apologized..... I manned up and we moved on....

We wear good until about a weak ago.
    He as a Facebook page called - okc Marco tools.

He made a post and tagged me in - topic was ( oh look another poor person being ripped off by snap on) he posted a picture from the snap on truck of a quote. The picture had the guys letter head - business info -name and contact.
    The quote had a Apr rating of 29%. he pointed that out and was dogging on snap on for it.
    ( I personally use snap on and my rate is at 9%. )..... I felt this was very disrespectful - and dishonorable...
    First. off Apr is based off of credit rating.
    Second. You don't post someone else's business info and such - especially there letter head.
    He has always bad mouthed snap on and other tools company's. IMO it's one thing to do when it's private - person to person talk. But it's different when you go public.
    I have informed him many times not to post stuff such as this on my page and he has failed to Acknowledge my warning.
    So I stepped up about it and told him my thoughts about it being inappropriate.

He said that he has heard me trash talk other tools. Yes this is true but I'm not in competition. I don't own a business. I have a right to say what I like as a consumer..... He on the other hand is a business owner - who has morale obligations to show he is better then the other companies out there. He is a representative of Marco tools and he should act as such. You win peoples business by being an outstanding person. Not bad trash talking and doing dishonorable things.

He said if I had a problem with it call Marco tools but they will just laugh at me....

I have decided to not do any more business with this man. I will continue my payments but will not pick up any new tools from this man.
    This man claims to be very religious and out standing but time and time again I see him acting as if he doesn't care about anything but what he sees.

Have I over reacted. Has anyone else had issues like this?

2. krelboyne

krelboyne Remember

Another one of the down sides of social media.

Slayer likes this.
  3. Crazy Larry

Crazy Larry Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, 302, manual trans
    So is it Matco Tools, or Marco Tools?

I don't think you overreacted at all. The guy is a "tool".

Slayer likes this.
  4. Slayer

Slayer Member

Vehicle:
    72 maverick
    I meant mattco tools. My apologies. Phone and auto correct.

5. cyclonewill

cyclonewill Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick - (2)72 Maverick- 64 comet cyclone- 69 mustang 70 cougar -69 Ranchero - 73 Pinto
    From my time working on trucks the tool guys were all a little arrogant, except for an independent guy who sold SK (my box has more SK than snap-on for a reason)

I don't think you overreacted at all, as the consumer you have all the right to think the guy is an ass and not do business with him.

6. Slayer

Slayer Member

Vehicle:
    72 maverick
    I like SK and Cornwell also. Although I can't get any of them to come by the shop.

Something I failed to mention was - at one point he had called me ( his wife and him) wanting to know my problem with there post. I informed them my opinion and you could here both of them in the back ground call me names ( such as stupid and stuff like that) I got it recorded on my phone but it didnt come out very well..... Not really worried about there opinions. But damn after all the money I spent with them you would think some kinda respect would be in order.

7. Crazy Larry

Crazy Larry Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, 302, manual trans
    So......YOU are stupid because the Chinese harbor freight tool was more durable than the Mattco tool they sold you?
    Mmmmmmkaaaay. :cautious:

cyclonewill likes this.