MAVERICK DO'S AND DON'TS

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by texasbb14, Jun 5, 2020.

1. texasbb14

texasbb14 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    I know we have a lot of members on here. Everyone with a different background, different up bringing, "definitely some different opinions" haha. What I want to know is what are some of the things you did or didn't do to you Maverick that you loved, hated, wish you did or didn't do.

What makes your Maverick special to you? I think it would be cool to see some of the upgrades people did that they loved or hated. Could give some us an upcoming idea to add to our Mavericks or teach someone who is new into Mavericks what to stay away from.

ike72com likes this.
  2. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    Installing a aftermarket one wire 130amp alternator one of my best easy upgrades. Getting rid of 55 amp alt, external regulator & wires works for me. Also, provided extra power needed for elec. fan, AC, additional horn and stero amp.

Static, DGD, Mustang1989 and 5 others like this.
  3. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    Here's my don't. I joined in 2009, it is now 2020 and my car is still in more pieces than I can count....don't drag your feet, get it together and running!

4. xpsnake

xpsnake Bruce

Vehicle:
    1971 Ford Maverick 2-door
    Don't: I took my car apart 7 years ago for a big 9", coil over suspension, and a 4-link. It was a mistake. I would have been fine with an 8.8, cal-tracs, and some front suspension upgrades. Now every single thing I do to the car is a fabrication session.

Do: Shock tower chop if you want some extra wrenching room.

5. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    don't: pay for any paint or body work "up front", better known as "paint jail".
    I drove a Maverick to a body shop and 14 months later...hauled it off in pieces...:yup:
    do: Rod and Custom ...RC 107 rack and pinion kit.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  6. William623

William623 Member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 ford maverick grabber
    Do Not: randomly buy parts off eBay, normally they will be way over priced. It is much cheaper to buy them from members on here. When rebuilding your front suspension DO NOT use poly bushings for the strut rods, they will snap

Do: when rebuilding your front suspension make sure to use good parts such as MOOG and if you can upgrade your spring perches to roller nearing. Also when you buy front windshield gaskets only buy Daniel carpenter products do not buy others such as precision.

7. smegnl

smegnl Roger Saffle Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Grabber Clone
    Mine is the same for DO and DONT... Buy a 40yr old car when you know absolutely nothing about cars. It has been both the best learning experience and most frustrating thing ever....

8. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    72comet_zps0ba6d25c.jpg cometfranklin.JPG

Buy a nicely done, unfinished project(yeah I kno, few & far between), mine was ¾ mi from my house. Wasn't exactly cheap but for work already completed, was reasonable. Rust free southern car.

Was well on it's way to being a extra nice driver, borderline show car. Killer paint job, all new glass, headliner, resrored grille rechromed bumpers, NOS side marker & tail lights etc. It's issue was engine compartment & suspension were still stuck solidy in '72. Original 302 tired, but trans was rebuilt. I rebuilt suspension, inst disc brakes plus rebuilt 5.0, all in one fell swoop. cometengineB4_zps284e5952.jpg cometengineright.jpg

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  9. ike72com

ike72com Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet, 70 mustang, F250 and F100
    I work hard for what I have. SO!

Don't loan out your cars to every and anyone. Especially if you,ve soup it up!

Heard many stories of test drives gone bad.

Krazy Comet and texasbb14 like this.
  10. jasonwthompson

jasonwthompson Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    The top do's for me in no particular order were, Ford Duraspark electronic ignition, front disc brakes, early 90's Mustang 3g 130 amp alternator, PMGR starter, and Ford Taurus electric fan. These were mainly simple bolt-ons and made the car more enjoyable to drive. Save the big/expensive mods for later. Make it road worthy first. Don't throw money into a car that has (prohibitively expensive/extensive) issues like rust or hacked to pieces. Tom is right, if you can find and afford someone else's well done car chances are you are paying much less than what is in it.

DGD, Mustang1989, texasbb14 and 2 others like this.
  11. ike72com

ike72com Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet, 70 mustang, F250 and F100
    Top on my list do i,ve done are
    1. Front disc brakes
    2. Front end rebuild

Top don,t i,ve done
    Is buy 3.89 DL for my 9inch. Paid $900 for it. Brought life to my weak 351w. Over kill when i upgrade to 408w. Great for track but bad for highway. 3.00 would have been perfect.

DGD, Mustang1989 and texasbb14 like this.
  12. ptpdub

ptpdub Member

Vehicle:
    do try new things, do enjoy YOUR car, don't worry about what others think, don't be scared to learn from others, do ask questions, don't worry about the people who say "you should have ..." do the best you can with what you can, don't think it has to be perfect before you drive it.

13. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    74 comet, 70 Olsen step van, 2005 Scion xB
    Roger, you jumped right into the deep end. I admire your courage, empathize with your frustration, and all I gotta say is awesome job mister!

DO: when building a street motor, build a street motor! I love instant torque and sanitary exhaust fumes.

14. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    That's tough advise to follow for me! I have never heard my car run let alone drive it and I keep fighting the urge to up the ante. I really want something I can drive and enjoy which this engine should provide. It's full roller, 347 with aluminum GT40 Y heads and an unknown cam at the moment. I was told it has an X cam but will find out when I tear it down.

15. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    74 comet, 70 Olsen step van, 2005 Scion xB
    As long as the cam doesnt go crazy, that should be a nice, powerful street motor. I am still discovering all the ways my junk motor wants to loose traction, but I dont have a posi. It is more frisky than any car I have ever had....even my 428 69 Firebird that had a pick a part motor from a 69 Ventura. Yours will be a beast with a manual trans.

texasbb14, Krazy Comet and RMiller like this.