maverick/granada swaps

Discussion in 'Parts Interchange' started by roadrage, Mar 30, 2003.

1. roadrage

roadrage Roadrage

Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Cougar
    i found a mercury monarch (granada) in a junkyard. the body and interior look to be in good shape. i didnt look under the hood, but i assume its a V8.
    ive been told that a granada is a heavy-duty, re-skinned maverick, and that most parts interchange.
    im consulting you guys to affirm this and tell me whats worth salvaging.

1. center console/floor shift automatic- it is blue, but i suppose i could paint it a neutral color. is the floor hump and diminsions for a granada and maverick the same?
    2. floor shift- i have a column mounted automatic that id like to convert to floor. if this is a bolt in job (although tranny probably needs rebuilding) im just wondering if all the hookups and crossmembers, etc are the same. will the hole in floor be in same place.
    3. steering column- i wont need my old column shift if i convert. is the granada the same?
    4. bucket seats- same holes/pattern?
    5. disc brakes- is it a bolt in? what should i scavenge, what can i keep from my maverick? will the master cylinder fit, or should i attempt to use the shock tower to firewall supports from the granada?

thanks

roadrage:confused:

2. 76 Mav

76 Mav Reformed Camaro junkie

Vehicle:
    76 Mav , 70 Galaxie ,04 F350,03 Mustang,03 F150
    1) Center Console will fit like a glove ....

2) I have never seen a granada with a floor shifter But i am no expert on granadas or monarchs ... Theres another thread on bolting up a floor shifter to a c-4 ... if you use the same tranny no mods would be nessecery ... should be a direct bolt in swap ...

3) Dont know if the column is the same but im sure you can just take off the plactic ring where the shift shaft thingy is and the part that the shift indicator is attached to from the floor shift column and install it on the tree shift column,

4) Been told that the seat tracks are the same but i dont know for sure ...

5) Scavenge spindles , calipers , rotors and Porportioning valve... you can pick up a stock maverick booster (If Power) and M/Cylinder from any parts store ... And if im not mistaken you need the brake pedal if its from a power setup ... If your converting from manual to Power brakes you will need a tower to firewall support from a mav or comet with power brakes because a manual brake brace will not work ...

3. Corbin Johnson

Corbin Johnson Member

Vehicle:
    73 LDO, 72 Sprint, 70 Grabber.
    Yes the Granada front disc brake system is a direct swap onto a Maverick. If you want power brakes, however, you must get the pedal assembily, booster, and driver's shock tower brace from a Maverick/Comet as these are the only ones that will fit. I am pretty certain the Granada columns are not the same at all, but I may be wrong because I have not tried. I am not sure on the seat rails. The consoles look very nice in the Mav's. Here is a pic from Mavaholic's car that has one.
    -Corbin

4. Jerry

Jerry Member

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick 2dr 302, 74 LDO
    Will a early 70s Cougar console fit as well?

5. littleredtoy

littleredtoy Seth

Vehicle:
    '74 Comet GT
    Yes to the cougar console...

...The '69-'70 Mustang consoles are the same and are not cheap if you find them in good shape. I am not sure if they are the same as Cougar consoles.
    The '71-'73 Mustang consoles are identical to the same year Cougar consoles. There is a new old stock '71-'73 console on e-bay right now without the clock or the armrest in black and the 2 pieces were around $600 the last time that I saw them.
    I think I paid $45 for mine ('71-'73 complete with working clock) the ONLY thing that I do not like about it is that I have 2 ashtrays now and I do not smoke. It fits perfectly with my factory follor shift. The Cougars, Mustangs and Comets and Mavericks all had the same shifter bezel.

Seth

6. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    i saw a 78' monarch in the salavge yard the other day that had what looked like the arm rests from the late model mavs. anyone know for sure...frank...

7. 76 Mav

76 Mav Reformed Camaro junkie

Vehicle:
    76 Mav , 70 Galaxie ,04 F350,03 Mustang,03 F150
    The arm rests are very close ... only difference is the granada rests mount from the inside of the door panel out vs the maverick rest which mount from the outside in ... Also on the end where the chrome ring is the mav's are rivited together where the granada has a "Loose type" end that has a bolt in it .... The Granada rest can be mounted easily to a mav .... Aslo the newer granadas and also fairmonts have similar rests but they dont have the chrome ring at the end ....