Mustang Parts Car

Discussion in 'Parts Interchange' started by 71mavkidd, Oct 27, 2017.

1. 71mavkidd

71mavkidd Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    I have a chance to buy a running and driving 1992 Mustang convertible with the 302 and the 4 speed automatic transmission. I think I can get into it for just under $1,500.

I want the engine, but not the transmission. I have never purchased a parts car before, I am basically just looking for some advice based on value, useful parts, etc.

Thanks

2. 71mavkidd

71mavkidd Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    No thoughts?

3. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Does the car engine run well??? How many miles on it??? Do you want the fuel injection for the mav???( Theres a lot to be said for being able to buy a running engine) for your project...You can sell off the un- used/needed parts to recover some of the initial cost as well. Know what you want the car to be when done before you start spending $$$ Engines can be had for less in a junk yard but...(See above statement)

4. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    For std trans, all the 5.0 Stangs from mid '83 through '95 used the Borg Warner 5-speed transmission... If it has a four speed it's been hacked, but then a good Toploader is worth more than most T-5...

5. 71mavkidd

71mavkidd Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    I am under the impression that the '92 had the AOD 4-speed automatic transmission as an option :huh:

6. 71mavkidd

71mavkidd Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    I want the wheels and tires (as a temporary set up until I am ready to put nice wheels on mine because I have none that fit after doing a 5 lug conversion); as well as the engine and the remainder of the usable 'under the hood items'; I have been going back and forth on the EFI waiting on a good deal either way to make the choice for me.

Anything else we can use on our cars from a 92? I have searched around a bit, but can't find a decent list.

I can't say for sure on the running well part because it is a bit of a hike and I am trying to decide if I want it in the case it all checks out.

I seem to recall that the '88-'92 Mustang 5.0s were particularly sought after due to the stock forged aluminum pistons???

7. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Yes they did but you said 4-speed, in my mind that eliminates any and all automatics... I don't count gears in a automatic...

If you're thinking those have five lug wheels you're going to be sorely disappointed... Unless it has a conversion, only '93 Cobra had five lug...

As far as pistons, if motor is worn out and needs reboring, they'll be paperweights...

mojo likes this.
  8. 71mavkidd

71mavkidd Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick
    Thank you guys for your input. A friend of mine is going to look at it tomorrow.

I do have a very random question. Is there any difference in boat engines and vehicle engines? I do know that some late 80s early 90s boats had 5.0 Cobra engines in them. Has anyone considered such an avenue? Or am I way out of the ballpark here?

9. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Boats get hammered. In and out of waves, engines cycle loaded and no load. Some are run in salt water. I would say don't even bother.

If that Mustang doesn't pan out, look for an V8 Explorer or Mountaineer from 96 to early 97. These 302 motors have roller cams and early GT-40 heads and still should be pretty common junkyard fare. Avoid mid-97 and on because they have GT-40P head with a funky plug angle. You will not be able to get headers for those. Look online, there are ID marks for both types of heads.

10. stumanchu

stumanchu Stuart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    74 comet, 70 Olsen step van, 2005 Scion xB
    If you can find a rusty, 76-77 big bumper 302 maverick for parts, It will have v8 swap parts, 5 lug, disc brakes, and 8"rear end, and a non-roller 302 core.

11. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    I just noticed you mentioned using the 1992 Mustang wheels ... those will NOT bolt on to your Maverick. The Mustang 4 bolt pattern changed in to a smaller circle.