My 72 Comet Build.....

Discussion in 'Maverick/Comet Projects' started by franktf, Jan 13, 2013.

1. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    Wed afternoon I managed to find time to get a coat of Meguire's #7 rubbed and and let it sit overnight..... This morning I went down and wiped it off, I must say I am very pleases with the results so far..... The Meguire's #7 is supposed to restore the oils in old single stage paint, and it seems to do exactly that..... The top of the driver side fender was very dull, I could not get it to come up by buffing it and the paint on these cars is very thin so you have to be careful with it(I have a couple edges on it that are through the paint and were barely buffed)..... Anyway I did a little research and found out about the #7 processand decided to give it a try..... After just one application the top of that front fender now has a reasonable shine on it.....

Before I leaft I rubbed in another coat and the loaded it up to sit over night.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tannersg1 likes this.
  2. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    Got the paint as good as it's going to get over the weekend..... Most of the car looks great, but the left front fender and door are not the best..... Don't get me wrong, for 42 year old paint there not too bad it's just the rest of the car looks so much better..... I ill get some pic's of it next weekend after I put one more coat of wax on it.....

Today after work I got a little done on the motor..... I put a set of LS6 rod bolt in it and test fitted the Improved Racing Crank Scraper I got..... Everything looked good other then 4 places the rod bolts come extremely close too, I marked it up so I can put a little more clearance in it.....

Here's a couple pic's of the crank scraper and where clearance is too close.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    Man, that is close!

4. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    Yes sir, it's only about .025 at the closest point while rotating but that's why you check them..... Also why they files and grinders.....

5. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    After trimming a few areas on the crank scraper I finally got it to clear with the windage tray torqued on top of it..... Also got the cam and Trick-Flow timing chain damper assembly installed with a new LS2 timing chain, also degreed the cam in(Came out within a half a degree of what I was told to set it)..... Next thing I want to do is port the oil pump.....

Here are some pic's of the progress.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Canuck and Tannersg1 like this.
  6. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    Friday afternoon I disassembled the oil pump and started porting it, I got it all roughed out with a carbide but still need to take the paper rolls to it.....

I got the car all cleaned up and waxed but was still unhappy with the driver front fender and door..... Today I finally started making some progress on the top of the fender, it's a hell of a lot of work but it is starting to look better(spent a couple hours on the top of the driver front fender hand rubbing with the #7 Meguire's).....

For now the car is ready to go to the Ford & Mustang Round Up at Silver Springs in Ocala, FL next weekend.....

Here's a few of the oil pump porting.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and here's a couple of the car all cleaned up.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. x72COMETx

x72COMETx Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet, 1972 Mercury comet GT, 1975 mercury comet (RIP), 1974 ford maverick (RIP)
    Man that car is so clean very nice work, can't even see any thing wrong with the paint

franktf likes this.
  8. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    Thanks..... It looks much better in pictures the in person(like most do)..... It looks like I car get the 2 problem panels worked out, it's just going to take a lot of work, but for now it don't look too bad.....

9. 7D2 Grabber

7D2 Grabber Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT, 1967 F100 short bed, 2008 Z06
    You got the stance just right. What's the weight difference with the LS and hair dryer. Hopefully it doesn't change too much. Have you thought of changing to the sport mirrors?

10. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    Thanks, it doesn't really matter what the new combo weighs because the front suspension is going to get changed and the new stuff will be adjustable.....

11. Tannersg1

Tannersg1 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Can't remember if I asked but anyways what size are those front tires? 15x31/2?

12. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    The wheels are 15x4 with 165/80/15 tires.....

Tannersg1 likes this.
  13. Tannersg1

Tannersg1 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Thanks! I like that look!

14. Msandmboy

Msandmboy Member

Vehicle:
    1970 maverick
    What front suspention are you going with??

15. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    I thought an update was in order since I haven't done one in a while..... To tell the truth I haven't really done to much, between doing a side job and getting the flu I just haven't had a whole lot of time to work on it..... I have purchased a Victor JR carb intake, some Holley Valve Covers, a o-ringed valley cover and some arp hardware.....

Anyways, I finished porting the oil pump then installed and aligned the housing, then assembled the rest of the pump..... I also removed the rear engine cover(because there was a big step at the oil pan rail) and reinstalled it with an alignment tool(no it lines up very well).....

Last week I made a stand off and my boss welded it to the timing cover for me(it is so I can install a timing tab, I like to be able to physically check the timing with a light)..... I made it a little tall, so today I clamped to the milling machine table and mill it down to the proper height..... Then I took it over to work so I could bead blast it, I cleaned it up and installed it on the engine with an alignment tool.....

Here is the ported oil pump, then some of the installation.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the rear cover and timing covers installed with alignment tools in place.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]