My maverick project

Discussion in 'Maverick/Comet Projects' started by radmav76, Apr 5, 2009.

1. radmav76

radmav76 Member

Vehicle:
    1976 maverick soon to be 460 powered...project on hold.
    Hello everyone,

This is the first time I've posted pictures of my maverick project. Although the project is currently on hold for now, I'm real eagar to get going on it again. I had to put it on hold because of the extensive amount of work it needs. I had to pacify my time by whipping together a bigblock mercury zephyr. As soon as the zephyr is moving under it's own power...I'm going to blow the dust off the maverick.
    Plans for the maverick include either a turbocharged, or nitrous fed 460/glide combo. A 9" ladderbar rear, and a full body restoration.
    The car currently has a front suspension out of a mid 70's ford capri. I started fabbing new inner fender structure due to rust, and the previous owners hack job repairs. The car was an abortioned attept at building a drag car. Every weld that was put on the car by the previous owner was easilly knocked off with a hammer and chisel.
    Thanks for looking....I'll update as my work progresses. Right now it makes a good shelf........
    Bryan

Attached Files:

2. RASelkirk

RASelkirk Retired!

Vehicle:
    Sonic Blue '72 w/LS-1, 200R4, 9" w/3.50
    Interesting! I've never seen one before with factory struts adapted to it. Keep 'em coming! :cool:

Russ

3. radmav76

radmav76 Member

Vehicle:
    Thanks Russ,
    It really wasn't that difficult. The crossmember is the same width as the mavericks framerails. I just made a triangulated jig that bolted to the original shock tower mounts at the fire wall, and to the top of the inner fenders, and a cross brace that kept my struts centered as I fit and welded everything together. Whats nice about all of this....It's light weight.

Bryan

4. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt BBF life

Vehicle:
    1970 ford torino #1
    gonna be awesome!

5. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    Be interesting to see the finished product. I just looked at a Mav with a 496 BBC in it. Runs 8.58 at about 160 mph. My fabricator was adding a wheelie bar to it for the guy.:)

6. radmav76

radmav76 Member

Vehicle:
  7. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    I know a guy who built a '66 Mustang Convertible the exact same way, except he used a Super Coupe T-Bird as the donor vehicle. He swapped the struts and everything over up front, and the Independent rear suspension from the Thunderbird over, along with the super charged 3.8 V6 and T5. Was a neat car. Unfortunately it got total wrecked only a few months after he completed it.

8. mean_maverick

mean_maverick Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '73 4dr
    gonna be a wicked ride :thumbs2:

9. radmav76

radmav76 Member

Vehicle:
    Thanks guys....A friend of mine is building a 72 maverick, tube chassis street car, complete with a 557 and a glide. This engine combo has already gone 9.14@149 with a 200 shot of nitrous in a backhalved 76 capri that was built nearly 20yrs ago. Killer part of that engine....10:1 pump gas engine....94 octane baby!!