new engine! 73 2-door

Discussion in 'Maverick/Comet Projects' started by Retta Ranch, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Retta Ranch

Retta Ranch Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick 2-door, 1971 Maverick 2-door. 1962 Galaxy 500
    So, my daughter just got a new motor for her Maverick. I guess we're doing an engine swap, among other things. She's going from a I250 to a 351w. It came with chrome, headers, and a transmission. Her step-brother built it from the block up for his 71 mustang. Mustang was totaled, and these parts were stored. He also threw in the floor shifter. She plans to have it done by the meet in September. Hope to get some help from my son, and get the engine pulled this week. She intends to paint the engine compartment black, so there's a lot of clean-up to keep her busy. We're replacing carpet and changing to buckets while we're at it.
    Since the suspension is original, I'm assuming I have to upgrade it. Any suggestions? I already replaced the stock radiator with an aluminum and electric fan when I put the 250 in last summer. Anything else? I do need to find the correct motor mounts/brackets.
    Rhonda

2. mavgrab302

mavgrab302 MCCI Florida State Rep

Vehicle:
    71 Maverick Grabber
    I would look into notching the shock towers, you'll need the extra room to access the plugs on the 351....

3. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    Motor mounts are available at any NAPA store for about $15 ea. last time I checked. The frame mounts are the harder ones to find. What headers are on it? Most Mustang headers will not fit a Maverick.:)

4. rwbrooks50

rwbrooks50 Member

Vehicle:
    71 Maverick & 63 Ranchero
    Rhonda,

It's never ending. What a change that engine will make!!!

I have the V8 swap parts you need, frame mounts, belly bar, trans crossmember and V8 carb cable. And disk brakes for the front. Just PM me.

Go get to work to be ready for the mini meet.

Rick

5. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    This is not an easy swap. I would go into this eyes-wide-open.

As stated above, cutting the shock towers is a very good idea. Easier to change plugs now with the 351 than with the factory 302 and stock towers.

Headers are going to be your biggest problem. Make sure you have them in hand, or your car could be in limbo for a very long time. They have to be specific to a 351w in a Mav, because the motor is 1.5 inches wider than a 302. Most 302 headers will hit the shock towers right where the upper A-arms want to be... can't cut them there.

My car was my daily driver, and sat for 12 weeks while custom headers, that were on order, were never made. I ultimately turned to a local guy who heavily modded a used set of headers for a 302 '68 Cougar (don't know the brand for sure ... probably BlackJacks). He cut an inch out of each pipe, had to ding a few for spark plug clearance, and they are still a tough fit, and rub the pitman arm.

Including the 3 "rent-a-heaps" I drove while the Comet was stranded with no exhaust ( I killed 2 of them .... :D ... the place was cheap, and the cars were nearly dead anyway) ... I figured out that my not-so-good headers cost roughly $1200. Should have bought a beater to drive and resell ... hindsight.

Other 351 issues .... it may help to do a small notch for oil filter clearance. It may have to do with motor mounts. I had a tight fit, others report no problem. You can use a shorter Mopar filter, also.

You will also have to watch the air cleaner to hood clearance. My hood is cut and I have a small filter inside a scoop. Still wish I had room for a taller intake manifold and larger filter.

If I had it to do over again ... stroked 302s are easy to come by now. I would do a 331.... a much easier fit. I did my swap in the mid-90s, and this was the best option for more cubes.

Suspension .... if the 351 had an aluminum intake, it will weigh close to a stock 302. Your springs might be OK, may just lower the front a bit. I would def get front disc brakes if you are running 4 wheel drums.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  6. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    I agree Jeff. I have never done that swap but it seems like a lot of hassle to make that change. I can see it if u or close/friend/family member have the fabrication skills to cut and weld the towers and other associated fabrication. I suppose if ur racing and want the xtra/ cubes/ torque etc. it makes sense.
    I suppose if ur getting the engine as a gift or vry reasonable it makes sense.
    If ur just mostly driving the car I feel the 331 is the way to go w/o all the extra hassles.
    As far as, changing plugs, I find it very easy w/ the 302 and stock towers.
    I think it looks tuffer than it really is.
    BTW - Great meeting u at the RU.

7. Retta Ranch

Retta Ranch Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick 2-door, 1971 Maverick 2-door. 1962 Galaxy 500
    Yes, this motor was "gifted" to her. Yes, I do know this is not a usual swap, but it's where we are. My concern is doing it correctly. Because we don't have the expense of the motor, our budget is in a little better shape.
    Any advice we get is a help. I appreciate everyone being honest. I know this is not going to be as easy as the 200 to 250 we did last summer, but that's ok.
    Rick, Stephanie will be calling you tomorrow!
    Thanks for all the help. Please keep it coming!

8. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    I used to have a 351w in my Maverick. It's not a hard swap. At least not much harder than a 302. Just need to find headers and they are right. Once you get it in you won't want to change spark plugs very often. I'd suggest the shock tower trim to make it easier. Other than the headers everything else is pretty close. Good luck.:)

9. shaneb

shaneb Member

Vehicle:
    1973 ford maverick
    How much for the disc brakes?