Old Window sealant - risk of asbestos?

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Sallythe71, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Sallythe71

Sallythe71 Member

Vehicle:
    71 2dr
    Trying to get my window trim back on (major pain by the way), and upon doing research, I’m reading comments about the black window sealant goop that I’m scooping out might have asbestos in it. Has anyone looked into this? Feel like it might be good to know more...

2. Hotrock

Hotrock Rick, an MCCI Member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet, 1997 Mustang Cobra, 2019 Ford Edge ST
    You need to tell us which black window sealant goop you are using.

3. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Asbestos is only a issue if the particles can become airborne, if there is any trapped in old glue it's going to remain there.

4. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    True only if it stays embedded during handling, Tom. I've done abatement jobs before and encapsulation would be the proper term for mastics and fortified glues. Stuffs very brittle so handle it enough and tiny pieces can break off and become loose or even airborne particles. Dust mask rubber gloves and be sure to treat clothes as potentially contaminated just to be safe. Nasty stuff that sticks in your body like little landmines just waiting to go off later on in life.

But tbh, I didn't think they were using it in these cars window sealants. Well before the 70's tons of cars had it in the firewalls fortifying sealants, putties and as heat protection. Remember the old thread dope like putties used around heater core hoses? That stuff surely degrades dries out and can be broken off into dusty airborne particles. Time goes on to prove that we're not nearly as smart as we think we are. lol

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  5. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Something to think of as well is if you are ever dealing with old brake shoes and clutches that were original to an old car. Back in the 1970s, if I pulled a brake drum off an old car, I always had a handkerchief tied over my nose and mouth. This is laughable compared to modern safety equipment, but at least I was trying ....