OMG A Hole Different Car

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by mavdog71, Sep 2, 2017.

1. mavdog71

mavdog71 Member

Vehicle:
    '71 Maverick Grabber
    After all the engine mods I have done on my EFI 5.0 . Using a chip from one of the Mustang suppliers witch got it running BUT not very good . Thanks to form member Micah in Reno who turned on to Michael form www.EFI dyno tune.com it has never run better..

71Mavrk likes this.
  2. 71Mavrk

71Mavrk Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber Clone, 1971 Maverick project
    Glad to hear he was able to help you out!!!

Micah

Hotrock likes this.
  3. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    One of the beautiful things about computers. Less wrenching required to give the engine what it wants. Lots of malnourished engine tunes out there/here because people dont understand combustion physics much less how to properly tune fuel and ignition curves to improve them. Glad to hear you got your moneys worth out of the deal.

4. 71Mavrk

71Mavrk Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, this guy has been pretty good. With the Moates Quarterhorse chip, you can data log a bunch of parameters. If you take the unused EGR port to hook up a wideband O2 sensor, you can get actual output verses commanded. This gets logged alongside the other parameters. So, you know exactly where you are at. A little tweaking, a few runs at different speeds/conditions and you can get a good street tune.

Still screwing with mine. I had an oil burning issue on my new motor. Haven't had the time to get out there and see what the issues are. Too many other projects and it is just too damn hot out there.

Micah

http://moates.net/quarterhorse-for-fords-p-199.html

5. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    I know several guys running that part and they seem to love it. I may eventually go to megasquirt on my Kasse motor(if it ever actually gets built). Electronics and software capability has come a long way in the past 10 years.

The biggest problem I see still going on(EFI AND carb'd) are part throttle tuning deficiencies. Most dyno shops push and sell peak horsepower like cylinder head companies sell peak cfm flow numbers. More peak power/flow is always better, right? Inertia dyno's rarely live up to their peak numbers in the real world either since their average power production numbers can still be in the toilet. A good tuner working off a decent brake/eddy style dyno is like gold and that car will run far better than another which simply chased peak numbers. Good to have members like you steering guys in the right direction around here, Micah. :tiphat:

71Mavrk likes this.
  6. 71Mavrk

71Mavrk Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    This guy is actually doing everything on the street. You can dyno with him if you want to get peak. You have to schedule with him and a local dyno shop. You send him the logs and he tweaks the tune for another run.

Doing it on the street chases the drivability issues. I'm not going to race. I just wanted something that I could drive on a daily basis in traffic with the AC on and still get a reasonable amount of power.

Micah