Power Brakes

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Mikef, Jul 17, 2022.

1. Mikef

Mikef Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Ford Maverick
    I have a 1971 Maverick. What is required to upgrade to power brakes? Thank you.

2. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Hi Mike,

There probably are some build/tech threads. The original booster is pretty big and requires a different shock tower to cowl brace. I have one of those braces available if you want to go that route.

I seem to remember some folks using a smaller (GM ? S-10?) booster. You also need to change the brake pedal to one with a different (shorter?) leverage point.

For front disc brakes, later Mav/ Comet or Granada/Monarch spindles swap right in. Stay away from Lincoln Versailles spindles, different ball joint.

Disc brakes up front will make the biggest gain in braking power. I run those with an unboosted master cylinder. They work well enough, I had to put an adjustable proportioning valve in to turn down the rear drum brakes. They were locking up too easy.

rickyracer and Shorty like this.
  3. Mikef

Mikef Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Ford Maverick
    Thank you for the info. I have disc brakes in the front. I have to stand on the pedal to stop it. It stops but I would feel better not having to press the brake pedal so hard.

4. TeeEl

TeeEl Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Ford Maverick Resto-Mod
    Get a universal after-market power brake booster & master cylinder for a Ford. The factory power brake setup for these cars is not worth the effort since it doesn't work all that great anyway, and is a pain to install. Looks ridiculous too. It was basically an afterthought from Ford in the '70s...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
    jasonwthompson and mojo like this.
  5. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    I think you have too look at something not working properly in system, if having stand on pedal to stop. Master cylinder issue, rust/air in system, froze calipers too name a few. When the system is working properly— no need stand on pedal.

74LDO, TeeEl and Shorty like this.
  6. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    I switched my master cylinder to a (74 to 75? Dunno, been 20+ years) Maverick Disc Brake M/C. I believe the difference is that the piston in there is SMALLER in diameter, more pressure per the amount moved. I know it sounds counter-intuitive. Someone here that is more of a tech can probably back this up (or correct me, lol).

I don't mean to make it sound like mine is anything like power brakes, it does take some leg effort, but it works. It is like driving an old truck from the 50s or 60s.

7. TeeEl

TeeEl Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Ford Maverick Resto-Mod
    Disc brakes require more pressure (and pedal effort) to actuate than drum brakes, but should still work reasonably well without power assist when drum brakes are on back...

mojo and Krazy Comet like this.
  8. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet 2 dr., 302 w/AR aluminum heads, Toploader 4 spd, 9" Trac-Lok w/3.70
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
    TeeEl likes this.
  9. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Ones on my Comet are require noticeably increased effort. MC is for '74 Maverick with disc, brakes 1969 Torino, all parts new.

TeeEl likes this.
  10. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    If you have to "stand on the pedal"....you have other problems. Keep in mind....brake pedal "feel" on a 1971 will never be as good as on a newer car.

11. Lee Richart

Lee Richart Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick LDO 421W
    Going to a smaller diameter master cylinder helps a lot. I ended up with a Wilwood master cylinder, which I believe is 7/8" diameter. I also have Wilwood discs on the front, which are 12 1/8" in diameter and this helps too.
    Lee "THE MAV" Richart

Krazy Comet and 71gold like this.
  12. mavdog71

mavdog71 Member

Vehicle:
    '71 Maverick Grabber
    Check with ABS Power Brake in orange Ca. I have one of there units on my 71 Mav. It is a small unit its fit between fire wall and spring tower and works manual drum brake pedal assembly. Web ABS Power Brake .com