power steering not willing to work

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Titoverius, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Titoverius

Titoverius Member

Vehicle:
    Ford maverick
    I've had a lots of trouble trying to make my 73 maverick a power steering car, i had bought all pieces for the steering system (used parts) and then had them installed. After installing everything we tested the system and when we started the car the steering wheel moved by its own to the left, we thought it was adjustment so we send the control valve on its way for rebuild and calibration, when it came back we did the same test and made sure to bleed the lines and still had the same problem. At this point i thought it was a circulation issue because my pump and control valve felt real hot real fast so i thought it was the pump so we send it to get rebuild and when it came back it still had the same issue (turning on its own, steering felt hard, valve and pump heating). By this point i was annoyed and went on and buyed new control valve and pump and borrowed a cylinder from a friends working maverick, well it didnt work again. I was wondering if anyone had experienced something similar or someone who knows what my issue might be, im so close te resign and just have my car driven with manual steering. I would really appreciate if someone could help. :hmmm:

2. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    There were others on the forum w/ similiar issue. Have you done a search on power steering issue? I don't have experience w/ this issue so can't help. Is there a possibility lines may be reversed connection?

Titoverius likes this.
  3. Titoverius

Titoverius Member

Vehicle:
    Ford maverick
    I thought of that the first time i got the issue and we reversed the lines and it turned way faster so that is how we knew they werent reversed in the First place. Because when they are reversed you cant turn the wheel the opposite way and the Way we have it it turns really slow and you can turn it the opposite way its moving it is just hard as if it didnt have power steering

4. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    A hot pump & valve means pump is building pressure when fluid should just be circulating. I've seen the centering adj under cap on end of valve cause steering to creep to left. With that condition pump is constantly working. If return hose is blocked that can cause overheating of both pump & valve. If pressure hose has a blockage, just the pump would be getting hot.

Titoverius likes this.
  5. Titoverius

Titoverius Member

Vehicle:
    Ford maverick
    I haven't even cheked my hooses i will do so, that might be the issue because since im using the original control valve and cylinder but using a more modern pump that the one it is supposed to use the problem must be there because i had to get my hooses made (the one going form pump to valve and return) and they might have left them with some kind of issue.

Thank you for the tip.

6. BKelley

BKelley Comet Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    "72" Comet GT