Power steering

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Titoverius, May 19, 2020.

1. Titoverius

Titoverius Member

Vehicle:
    Ford maverick
    Hi, i recently installed the power steering kit to my car, it was a used one but since i installed it I havent been able to make it work. The problem is that the steering wheel moves slow by it self to the left. ( hoses from valve to piston arent crossed over) Also the pump and valve start to gain heat quickly so i thought it could be the valve so i bought it new and got the same issue, then i bought a new pump and the same so i was wondering if anyone had solve this problem previously because i dont want to buy a new piston and not fixing the problem. Hoses are new, we got them made locally. Thank you for your help

2. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Usually "creep steering" in one direction or other is improper setting of preload in the valve. (yeah I see you've replaced it). Still the valve controls fluid to cylinder and AFAIK, if operating properly, loops fluid back to pump. At that point the cylinder is not in operation. Continual pressure to cylinder will cause overheating of other components. A restriction in return hose could be issue. I don't see a restriction in pressure hose causing creep.

Proper adj is remove valve cap, tighten adj nut until slightly snug and back off ¼ turn. Be sure the nut actually turns the full ¼ turn on threaded shaft, normally there is approx 1/8 turn of play in shaft. In other words, you'll probably need to make adj closer to 1/3 turn from snug. DO NOT operate system with cap removed, reinstall after adj.

Titoverius likes this.
  3. Titoverius

Titoverius Member

Vehicle:
    Ford maverick
    So from your point of view it has to be either the return hose or the valve adj? Thank you i will check the hose first because i thought new valves came with the appropiate adjustment but im new to this, there is still a lot for me to learn.
    Again thank you for your help.

4. BKelley

BKelley Comet Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    "72" Comet GT