"Problem Solved"/ New Engine ?

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Jony, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Jony

Jony Banned

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Ford Maverick Grabber 5.0L 302 v8 NA
    S0, I have received the replacement water pump from Flowkooler and I did check to see if the propeller was installed, it was. I installed it today as well but I got more than I expected. About 2 weeks or so ago I removed the intake to so if that was causing the overheating problem and it was because it was all cracked and what not but that was the same day that I removed the water pump to find out that the propeller was missing! I bought all the gaskets I needed to install all of what I took off to put on today! All went well but it took longer than it should've because I had to recall what went where even though I had taken pictures for reference. It took awhile for it to start up because I had the distributor loose and the timing was after a while of not driving! I started up after a couple of minutes of tuning the engine to spec. The problem is that it sounds different and not in the good way! It sounds like it is misfiring or it is down a cylinder! There's an odd puffing sound as it idles and drives and before it changes to any gear there is a small squeaking noise that was never there before either!I am worried that something might of got into the engine while removing the intake manifold off! To make it worse I had taken my eyes off of it for a minute, literally a minute, and I find my dad ,who was helping me, checking the old gasket to find a piece of it missing and he not knowing what happened to it! There could be a piece of a gasket in there but I don't want to jump to that conclusion just yet! I'll post a video of the start up tomorrow along with some pictures but someone please let me know what you think! If someone lives in Illinois or knows anyone who lives somewhere near me let me know I need professional help asap!

PS. I might need a new engine because it still is overheating and I have pretty much changed everything with the cooling system other than the engine block and cylinder heads! If that is the case I will start a fundraiser soon to help pay for a new engine along with the money I'll be saving along the road! You won't have to donate but it would be helpful, that way I would save more money on college! and this car is kind of my daily so I have less than a month to fix it!

(Here are pics of the Returned water pump along with the replacement! That's what it is supposed to look like with the pink propeller!)

Attached Files:

2. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    Lots of things could be wrong that could be checked before buying a new engine . Do you know that you put the distributor back in correctly, are the spark plug wires on the right firing order are vacuum lines all hooked up. What year motor is it. Are you capable of doing a compression test. Tell us all you know about the motor and maybe we can help more

How long have you had the car and has it always overheated, how do you know it is over heating do you have gauge or idiot light

71gold likes this.
  3. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Hi Jony:
    " FUNDRAISER" ? .. What a novel idea . There are a lot of things I'd like to do with these cars and it's never occurred to me to have a " Fundraiser" .. Hmmmmmmmm I've been doing it the old fashioned way .. Job --- Work --- Save --- Spend .. etc. I'd bet there are a lot of folks out there that have a similar system. Good Luck with the Fundraiser deal .
    Cometized
    (Chip)

M.A.V., mav man and William623 like this.
  4. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    maybe this gave him the idea...

http://mmb.maverick.to/threads/proj...d-supported-by-sung-kang-han-from-ff5.108160/

5. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Yep ! Could be ... I seen on the internet a black dude that wanted to go to Africa and started a Go Fund Me Fund to raise $$$ for the trip. Whatever happened to ... getting a job ... working ... and Pay Your Own Way ??
    A lot of the young people out there don't understand nor appreciate that concept . JMO
    Cometized
    (Chip)

Craig Selvey and mojo like this.
  6. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    Same thing as the viper engine maverick . There are some good reasons for a go fund me account but not many.

Jony I appreciate the fact that you have a Maverick but perhaps any money that you can scrape up should be spent on a good commuter car until such time in your life you can afford to do what you want to the Maverick as I am sure there will be more episodes of things needed to be done to the car and all will involve money and hands on experience.

Keep your car and when the time is right and all the planets line up just right you will be able to look back and appreciate what you have accomplished and dont be a stranger to this site as we dont hate you we just dont see eye to eye on approach to your solution.

71gold, Ronald Hopkins and mojo like this.