Project "Therapy Sessions" 1972 Maverick

Discussion in 'Maverick/Comet Projects' started by car-nut, Jul 25, 2010.

1. car-nut

car-nut Glenn

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    I spent a bit of time Saturday getting everything sanded down and masked off. I got it all sprayed with black DP90LF, let dry for a few hours, then sprayed 3 nice heavy coats of DPS3057 primer surfacer. Looks good I think.

Attached Files:

2. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I like them side panels. Does he want to make another set?

3. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    Those panels look good, it's gonna be very clean looknig under the hood.....

4. car-nut

car-nut Glenn

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    I am sure I can get some made if you have any interest. They came from a fab. shop that does mostly race car stuff. I still have the patterns I gave him if you want some made. They cost me $200 cash.

That is the goal of course!

5. Mavaholic

Vehicle:
    The price is good, just gotta figure out how to get them to me. Are you planning on coming to Ford Carlisle next year. And if so, well, you know my question. :D Might even want 2 sets. A friend of mine will need them. What gauge metal are they made from?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  6. car-nut

car-nut Glenn

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    He made them in 20g for me. That way I could weld them with ease, and it helps give a little more strength.

I am definatley thinking of coming down to Carlisle. Of course that could change? If I do I could bring them down for you. Another option would be Greyhound? Very inexpensive if you have a terminal near you.

Do you have a fab shop down near you? I could mail you my patterns? Just a thought..either way I don't mind helping out.

7. car-nut

car-nut Glenn

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    Today was a great day here...Christmas in September.

UPS dropped of the Cal-Tracs from Calvert Racing, then not 10 minutes later Fed-Ex pulled in with the rear disc brakes from Vintage Venom!!:clap:

I am beginning to think I should have named this project "Empty Pockets"!!

Lately I have sold some extra stuff on Ebay that has enabled me to buy a few things. I now have the whole front end in primer. I am going to paint the crossmember and frame rails soon so I can put the front suspension in the car finally. Now that I have the boxes that came today I will be able to put the rearend together and be able to put the car on the ground and make it roll!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  8. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    I know how it feels...but that first drive will be well worth it!

9. Mavaholic

Vehicle:
    Thanks. I definitely wont need them for a while since Doug has my front end in TX and I cant get that until next Roundup. Actually I have a 4ft brake and could probably fab them up myself but I dont have a bead roller. Whats the max length of your panel?

10. car-nut

car-nut Glenn

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    Well it's been a long time since I updated this thread. That doesn't mean I haven't been working on the car though.

I bought an IDIDIT tilt steering column for the car. So for the last few weeks that has been my focus. I had to fabricate a new column mount both at the dash and the floor. They came out nice. Because I am modifying the dash I didn't even try to make the stock mount work. I could have, bnut it would have put the column lower than I like. So instead I bent a piece of steel strap around the column, put two 90 degree bends in it, drilled a couple holes and it now mounts right where the two bolts that hold the brake pedal arm and the support are above the column. It really fits nice there. At the fire wall I took a piece of sheetmetal and cut it to shape where the stck column goes through and the foam seal are. I drilled the hole for the column, bolted the metal in place, slid the column through the hole and tack welded it in place. I have since removed the assembly and welded everything up nice.

A you can see in the pix I have made a lower dash extension. I don't really like the look of the stock shelf. I welded some threaded studs to the bottom of the dash, drilled the appropriet holes and can now just unbolt and remove it as needed. If you look you can see that I added a piece of exhaust tubing to "frame" the column. I think it gives a nice look to it and finishes it off. To the left of the column on the lower extension will be the wiper switch as well as the headlight switch. To the right will be the ingnition and the radio.

I have also been playing with ideas on where and how to mount the gauges. I am not sure what I want to do here. I made up a cardboard panel like the guy on here with his "KUSSTOM" fiberglass unit. Or make something out of steel? Hard to decide, still playing with ideas.

Here are some pix for you.....thought I had pictures of the column on the computer but don't. I will take some tomorrow and update the post.

Attached Files:

11. mashori

mashori Member

Vehicle:
    1971 V8 Maverick
    I love that lower dash you made, I can see that coming out really spectacular. I am thinking of doing something like this, still messing around with it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the recessed looks really sweet but I am opting for more gauges, which I wanna sink into the curved dash.

12. car-nut

car-nut Glenn

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    I recently purchased a new heater blower motor, and beacause I have finally chosen the color of the car I spent some time yesterday painting the motor. Today I finished the reassembly of the heater unit. Now I can put the sub assembly in the basement ready for the car to go to the final assembly stage.

I painted the heater motor because I will be painting the entire engine bay the body color. The color doesn't show it's true color in the pix, but close. This isn't the same color I was thinking of before. Similar, but different.

I love getting these little projects finished, feels like something is getting accomplished.

Attached Files:

13. car-nut

car-nut Glenn

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    Nice job, looks like it is coming along nicely!

14. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    That color looks pretty good, although it's a little hard to tell on a small area like that specially in a pic.....

I like the under dash piece you made.....

15. starsky74

starsky74 Technician

Vehicle:
    73 four door, 74 starsky&hutch mav, a 93SHO, an 03 gt, and a 94 gt
    coming along nicely