Project "Therapy Sessions" 1972 Maverick

Discussion in 'Maverick/Comet Projects' started by car-nut, Jul 25, 2010.

1. car-nut

car-nut Glenn

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    Glad I could help!

2. car-nut

car-nut Glenn

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    I didn't get a ton done today. With it being Mother's Day and all. I did get a couple hours to go out and sand down the edges of the hood where I had applied the West System's six10 Epoxy.

Here you can see the results of it with much better gaps. More to my liking now. I still have a little more to do, but I am feeling better about the hood lines now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  3. John Holden

John Holden Member

I have to ask this question. Why didn't you just adjust/push the fenders in to close up the hood-fender gap? Now it looks like your hood-fender gap is closer than the hood-cowl gap. Could just be the picture though.

4. car-nut

car-nut Glenn

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    Because if I pushed the fender in more it would then go past the adjustment of the door. I couldn't get the front edge of the door in any further without it hitting the A post.

Fitting any older car is a huge give and take experience.

5. John Holden

John Holden Member

Ok, makes sense now.

6. car-nut

car-nut Glenn

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    I have to tell you, it is much harder getting things done during the nice weather than it is when it's cold during the winter months. I have resolved to the fact that this car will not be painted before our vacation last week of July as I had hoped. Too many other things to do when it's nice out....

Yesterday we went to Brimfield Antique Fair in Brimfield, Mass. If you are not from around here then I couldn't begin to describe the size and magnitude of this event. Some car stuff, but mostly anything you could imagine that is old for sale. Huge is all I can say. We walked for roughly 6 hours and I think we only saw 1/3 of the show.

Today I was working hard in the garage. With the front end still on I continued to fit the hood to the fenders and to the cowl.

Here is where I started....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I applied some filler across the panels to get a perfect horizon across the tops of the hood, fender and cowl......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was woking pretty hard and planning on getting the passenger side done as well. Then the phone rang. After that conversation, I blew off and cleaned up. I was asked if I wanted to drive a new toy. 10 minutes later this twin turbo V12 Bentley was in my driveway waiting for me.

So I ask you, would you have stayed in the garage sanding body filler? Or would you do what I did and go for an hour long rip through the mountains? Easily, the nicest car I have ever driven, bar none.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like the Maverick got upstaged today. Til next weekend!

Glenn

7. mercgt73

mercgt73 Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet GT (clone), 1974 Mustang II, 1980 Bobcat Wagon
    I admire your attention to detail, Glenn. Now I can see what goes on to get those Top Quality Showcars looking so amazing. Great work!

Oh, and nice Bentley. For a grocery getter, that is. ;)

8. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    I'd take the Bentley for a drive any day, over working on a Maverick.

9. junrai

junrai Member

Vehicle:
    1972 mercury comet 1972 comet gt
    I cant say I wouldve dropped what I was doing and went out for a drive but I wouldve liked to check it out. then I wouldve went back to working on my car if I had something to do.

10. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Did the owner of the Bentley get ticked off about all the body filler dust in the interior? :D

Looks like a really nice car. I have a very hard time shaking the mental image of a 60s-style model when someone says Bentley, and what a yawn those must have been to drive.

Great body work that you have been doing! I spent time this past week fixing a small dent on an inside panel that really won't be seen. Marginally happy with my work. It has lead me to a couple conclusions ... a) I probably need more skills, and b) probably need to work with better materials (bought a small can of Bondo ... cheap and easy)

11. NICK DOMINICK

NICK DOMINICK MCCI Virginia State rep.

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber 302, 1973 Maverick my first car that is under restoration, 1972 Grabber and 1976 Maverick parts cars, 2012 Mustang GT, 2001 Lightning
    The Bentley was the nicest car you had ever driven until you finish your Maverick and drive that. (y)

12. ESampson

ESampson Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet GT
    I know it's getting nice out ad people get really busy this time of year... Any progress though? :)

13. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I think Glenn took off in the Bentley and never looked back :D

14. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    the ride may be sweet...but
    maybe he's still riding around trying to find some better looking wheel centers, those look like they're cheap aftermarket . I saw a Bentley at the post office the other day and my first thought was...aftermarket rims...:yup:

15. car-nut

car-nut Glenn

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    Very funny!! I wish I could keep driving the Bentley. It may not be everyones taste, but if you ever have the chance to get behind the wheel I would grab it. Almost 600 horsepower, it is impressive. Lucky for me it is a family members car, so I should get more opportunities to drive it.

I don't mind the rims, although something a little nicer would better fit the car.

I have been playing with the Maverick, but not much that can be seen in pictures. More sanding and metal work fitting gaps to my standards. It is all so time consuming to do. At the same time there is so many other things to do when the weather turns nice. That is one reason I like the winter when there is a project at hand. I can turn up the heat in the shop and lock myself in without any distractions. My plans for paint by end of July are gone, right now hoping by end of Summer. I did send the bumpers out for chrome. Should get them back in August.

In the meantime I have done a few things to my 32. Small changes. Swapped out the mirrors, then over the weekend I took off the hood top and flamed the underside. Looking for something different without taking up too much time. Did the entire thing in six hours from start to finish.

I laid out one set first and masked them off, these will stay yellow which will create a negative flame......
    [​IMG]

Then taped out another set, and masked them off for the positive flames....
    [​IMG]

Here they are all masked for paint.....

[​IMG]

This is how they look all painted.....

[​IMG]

And on the car....

[​IMG]

At a car show today.....

[​IMG]

I know, I know........ back in the garage on the Maverick. Right?!?

Glenn