Radiator 1-3/4" outlet

Discussion in 'Parts Interchange' started by leeinphx, Jan 27, 2020.

1. leeinphx

leeinphx Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1975 LDO
    So I was putting all the fluid lines on my 5.0 swap and had bought a maverick 302 lower radiator hose. Fit the engine just fine (1-3/4" connection) but would not go on my radiator that also has 1-3/4" outlet. The radiator came out of a maverick that had the 250. Everything I find shows that it is normally 1-1/2" outlet for the mav. Could this radiator come from a '70 mustang? I can find only one radiator hose that seems right which is the motorcraft km308, but haven't been able to verify that it is 1-3/4" on both ends. Anyone else run into this larger outlet on a Maverick?

2. Fastkarz

Fastkarz Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber 347/AOD/4.11
    So I am installing a new aluminum aftermarket radiator in my 72 Grabber and I ran into the exact same issue last nite. The original radiator had a 1 1/2" outlet, the new AL radiator has a 1 3/4" outlet. I walked away from the car last nite, plenty of other things still to put back together, so please let me know if that KM308 does the job and clears the power steering belt.

3. leeinphx

leeinphx Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1975 LDO
    Will do. Ordered the hose and it should come in tomorrow. I will compare the shape to the one I bought that would have fit. Won't be able to actually put it on the car till February.

4. leeinphx

leeinphx Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1975 LDO
    I'll be taking the hose up to my shop and install on the car later in February. From looking at hoses, I think the new one will work on my car. They definitely have a different shape, but look like they are the same length.

Attached Files:

5. Fastkarz

Fastkarz Member

Vehicle:
    Lee

Thanks for the pictures. I am working on getting the P/S cooler set up, front sheetmetal hung, and finishing up the Borgenson steering conversion. I will get that done before I buy the hose. Might be putting them on around the same time. They look close, but without that big curve it may not clear the front crossmember (since radiator outlet is just above the crossmember) or may not clear the fuel pump or P/S belt. If I get one installed before you I will upload pics. THANKS. Sean

6. leeinphx

leeinphx Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1975 LDO
    Mine is going on a 5.0l with a serpentine belt, so I think we have different configurations. My AC pump is down there that I have to clear.

7. Fastkarz

Fastkarz Member

Vehicle:
  8. Fastkarz

Fastkarz Member

Vehicle:
    So here is the new engine going together. You can see where the fuel pump and P/S belt are, that is why the hose has that big curve to it. Will have to put old hose on and take another look to see if there is enough clearance for the KM308

9. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    The lower hose I bought for my Comet was also supposed to fit a 4.3L Astro Van.

From pump it drops down, angles forward, upward again, then to rad.

10. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    I'm interested in how you seal the interior firewall at base of the steer column after the conversion! I did that conversion about 5 years ago. Also, IIRC, I have a stock V8 lower radiator hose; I don't recall having any issue w/ sizing at the radiator. I am going to check the hose as I believe part # may still be on it. Suppose to be 50+ degrees tomorrow, in case I need to get under the car to check.

11. leeinphx

leeinphx Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1975 LDO
    Krazy Comet, I looked and it seems there are several hoses for the astro van, any chance you have a part number or know what year and engine matches up. Some of what I looked at had 1.5" hose ends.

12. leeinphx

leeinphx Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1975 LDO
    I think clearing the belts would be fine, that fuel pump might be a squeeze.

13. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    The lower hose on my 302 is a Gates 20702 it fits fine on my aftermarket alum. radiator. I gave the stock radiator to my friend w/ 250, it fit perfect and been using it few years. I like Gates hoses, will only use them if available for whatever application I need them for.

Maverocket likes this.
  14. leeinphx

leeinphx Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1975 LDO
    The gates 2o702 is 1-1/2 on one end so that's not a valid part number for our applications. We need 1-3/4 on both ends. We are both dealing with an issue of a nonstandard outlet on the radiator.

15. leeinphx

leeinphx Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1975 LDO
    Just a quick update in case someone needs the info in the future:

The KM308 was a bust. The curve just would not let it mate up to the 5.0L engine with whatever radiator is in this car.

So, being frustrated once more driving 200 miles to the shop and getting stopped cold :banghead: , I dug around in my parts boxes and found a Gates 20621. It had what looked like the right curves with an extra one, so I cut it down and it fit perfectly.

Attached is a pic of the hose, I made the cut right past the label, removing that last elbow on the left in the pic.

Attached Files: