Real Hot Wheels Maverick

Discussion in 'Mavericks/Comets in the Movies and Other Media' started by budd, May 16, 2017.

1. budd

budd Member

Vehicle:
    truck
    Is there anybody out there that would know about a real Maverick Grabber Hot Wheel car that was built in the early 70's?

I have a friend with an older land lord that says he bought this Hot Wheel Maverick Grabber brand new from a dealership in Illinois during the early 70's. He claims that he paid close to 10k for this car. He still has this car, and is willing to sell it because of his age. I have not seen the car up close yet, but i wanted to do research to see if his story checks out. It supposedly has a stainless plate on the frame that says something about being a Hot Wheel produced car. If so, could this car be a promotional vehicle used for advertisement in its time, or just a custom built car by Hot Wheels for another purpose?

Please help, I'm stressed and pullin' my hair out in Wisconsin

2. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    Sounds like a fairy tale to me, a 10K car in the 70s would have been an outrageous price and no on in their right mind would have paid that for Maverick but if it is real it would be rarer than a Shelby Maverick which no one seems to have

3. budd

budd Member

Vehicle:
    truck
    now you see why im so stressed over it

4. budd

budd Member

Vehicle:
    truck
    yeah the price is probably not accurate, cause he doesnt quite remember exactly what he paid, being an older gentleman. The whole point, i guess, is i need some more information about this cars legitimacy. So if it is a real deal, how rare do you think it is on a scale of 1 to 10?

5. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    It would be a 10 in rarity because it would most likely be the only one but only due to the metal plate that states it is a Hot Wheels car as I doubt it had any other features that any other Maverick didnt have, makes for a good story though, hope its true and you can purchase it.

It would probably take a call to Hot Wheels to see if anybody remembers it if it is not some sort of dealers gimmick

6. z28th1s

z28th1s MCCI State Rep Coordinator

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '72 Maverick Grabber, '75 Comet GT, '70 Maverick (Grabber tribute)
    Interested to see what you find out.

7. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
  8. budd

budd Member

Vehicle:
    truck

9. Maverick Dude

Maverick Dude Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick Two Door 302 C4 LDO
    There are many full sized cars customized to look like Hot Wheels cars but couldn't find anything that was officially sanctioned by Hot Wheels. Doesn't mean they're not out there. Good luck in your search.

:dance:

MD

10. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    I am pretty well-versed in what Hot Wheels was up to in the first decade they were around. Never heard of this before.

The main story behind the "Mighty Maverick" (first Maverick casting by them) is that they were set to use the name "Mad Maverick", but Johnny Lightening beat them to the retail stores first, forcing a last minute name change. Not aware of any full-size cars being built to promote this. If they had, it would have most certainly come from Southern California, (Mattel HQ) not Chicago.

11. IcemanComet

IcemanComet Member

Vehicle:
    Mercury Comet
    Wow! I just happen to come across this thread and was amazed by CaptainComet's Hot Wheels collection. :shocked:

By the way, happy hunting, budd! Share us a photo if you find it. ;)

12. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Thanks for the props. Welcome to the board. You are close by, too. Interested in your Comet.

The dark blue one, second from the right, was the start of the madness. It is a very nice 1973 enamel paint car (Street Snorter was the name that year) that was in a stash that a friend had from his childhood. Long story short, he gave it to me as a birthday present, a couple years into my hoarding of old Hot Wheels lots on eBay. These are the most presentable Mavs that I have found. Many of the cars in the case are restorations. That is a niche hobby/art that is out there. Bodies are separated from the chassis, polished to brilliance, and shot with candy paint to replicate the 1968-72 cars. A lot of work! That was a phase that I found myself in for maybe six years. I had Hot Wheels Redlines from the very first one released, and gave them all to my younger cousin when I was 16. Dumb! This helped filled that void. Ultimately, I found that my Comet was just sitting while I was doing this, so that was a reality check ... plus I was running out of display space.