Rear axle u-bolt?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Russ, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    well.......my 1974 is REALLY, REALLY saggy in the rear-end...as the springs are just plain worn out with 33,000 miles on them. With just my 11 and 3 year olds in the back seat.....I go over a bump and I bottom out. I just hope the springs bring me back up to being "level". I will go with the 4-leafs and will let you all know how it goes.

2. Russ

Russ Found On Russ's Drive

Vehicle:
    74 "Bruiser" Mav-
    I went out later and took some measurements from the axle centerline up to the wheel well lip. 15 1/2" in the front 14" at the rear. I'm thinking I may take these springs back out and get them re arched at my local truck spring shop. If the car sat level I'd be happy, but I'm not building a low rider. :mad:

3. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    Hey Russ, how about just cutting 1/2 to one full coil from your front springs? That should give you the desired stance.

I got my 4-leaf rear springs from JC Whitney (and the new hardware from ESPO). They returned the rear to stock height and no higher than that, so I cut the front springs, 'cuz I ain't takin' those new leafsprings back out...