Running Problem

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Krax, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Krax

Krax Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Ford Maverick
    Ok guys, I have a problem. It might be a simple problem, but I have no clue. When I drive my car, it seems like it just doesn't want to get up and go, or sounds like there's no oil or something, which there is. I floor it, and the car does nothing, it just goes quiet, I let off and it idles fine, well sort of. If I gradually push it to the floor it doesn't really roar, it just calmly puts around, what's the problem? I just had my carb rebuilt, and drove it around for about 2 months and it just randomly started doing it. It kinda sounds like its not getting enough gas. I have a new fuel pump, and I have been changing my fuel filter quite a bit due to minor rust, but I fill it up and use all the gas once a week almost. Any ideas?

2. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    If you are changing your fuel filter constantly because of a rust issue...You need to eliminate the source of the rust (gas tank) and pull the carb apart and remove the rust from the fuel bowl...Other wise I would say you have a timing/ignition issue or you have a vacuum leak. My money is on a fuel delivery issue (rust)...Good luck!!!

3. Krax

Krax Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Ford Maverick
    I've had the tank cleaned before, and its not really putting out any rust anymore but was for a while. Could very well be the timing, and a vaccum leak.

4. dkstuck

dkstuck Member

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick in drag
    you got a cat on your car?

5. Streamliner

Streamliner Member

If it's not getting enough gas it'll stumble, not be smooth..If the timing is retarded it'll act this way...Is the transmission kicking down?....Next time, put the shifter in Low and try stomping it