Shipping companies?

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Stingrayiii, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Stingrayiii

Stingrayiii Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Ford Maverick 302/auto
    Does anyone know of a good shipping company that isn't crazy priced to ship?
    I have almost sold my car twice, but the shipping is up over $2000. And this is what has stopped me from selling my car. As they don't want to spend that much in shipping.
    To bad someone local just doesn't buy it.
    Last one was from Las Vegas to Florida and the cheapest was $2600. They buyer was thinking around $800.

2. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet 2 dr., 302 w/AR aluminum heads, Toploader 4 spd, 9" Trac-Lok w/3.70
    PM'd you........
    David

3. 71maverick361

71maverick361 Vern Isaac

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Grabber
    I had a VW brought from Vegas to Southern Texas for $595 and the transport guy lives in Vegas
    I will see if I can find his name

4. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    As was mentioned.. there are tons of the "little guys" who do this stuff much cheaper. Especially if you don't mind the open transports. There are also companies that will drive the car for you too, although that could bite you pretty hard if something doesn't go as planned mechanically and you end up paying some ridiculous shop rate off the highway some place in BFE.

Have you considered driving the car yourself and then flying back? Depending on the rates and distance that may get it sold for under $600 too. Just tossing the idea's out there.

5. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    I have used Dependable Auto Shippers. The key with them....don't be in a hurry. It took 2 weeks to get the car to me, but it was only $600 from Oklahoma. I also picked it up at a drop "hub" in Indianapolis. "Home to home" is expensive.

6. Stingrayiii

Stingrayiii Member

Vehicle:
    I will take this advice and see if we can make it work. I can't drive it that far, don't have the time to do so.

7. Rasit

Rasit Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    I had my Comet shipped from El Paso to Pennesylvania (2,100 miles) on a open single vehicle trailer for $900 using uShip. You list it and truckers bid on the load. I might have been lucky but the move was flawless and it arrived in three days from pickup, delivered right to my driveway. Have to be careful about car carrier independent truckers cause your car might end up zig-zagging all over the country while they pickup and deliver trying to make as much money along the way. When that happens your car can end up being loaded and unloaded multiple time increasing the risk of damage.

https://www.uship.com/

8. Paul Masson

Paul Masson MCCI Atlantic Canada Rep

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber
    Door-to-Door from Mansfield, OH to my place in Saint John, NB Canada was $2205.80 (Canadian). This price included having them do ALL the paperwork at the border, including paying the taxes (7%) due for entry into Canada. The car was shipped on a non-enclosed carrier, so it was filthy when I got it, but I was just glad to have it make the 1200-mile journey damage-free. I used Livingston International who specialize in transport/brokerage of vehicles from US to Canada. It was slow-going, as it took them over 3 weeks to get the car to me. They were a day late from their last estimate due to the truck driver driving past my house, through my city and all the way to Halifax before they realized my car should have been dropped off on the way. It was the only car on the carrier that wasn't destined for Halifax. They put it on another truck the next morning and it was in my yard by 11:00am the next day.

At the time, they did not offer any electronic tracking that was available directly to the customer. If I wanted to know where the car was each day, I had to call the guy in Montreal... and I DID! LOL

9. rotorr22

rotorr22 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 F150 XLT/5.0, 2014 Focus 5 spd manual,1974 Maverick Grabber, 1986 Thunderbird Elan 5.0/AOD
    I used the same outfit to ship my 28' Nordic boat & trailer from Lake Havasu, AZ to NE Ohio. Cost me $1,700 which was reasonable for that big of a boat.

The thing I liked about them was that you receive multiple quotes with customer feedback for each. The guy I chose had all 5 stars and I can see why after dealing with him. Took him 4 days from pick up point:thumbs2:

10. Stingrayiii

Stingrayiii Member

Vehicle:
    Finally sold the car. It went to a gentleman in Two Rivers, WI. Thanks for all the help.

Craig Selvey and Paul Masson like this.
  11. Rasit

Rasit Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    Congratulations on the sale. So how did the shipping work out?
    After all, that's what the whole thread was about...

12. Stingrayiii

Stingrayiii Member

Vehicle:
    Shipping worked out great, was very professional. Hope the new owner enjoys the car.

13. dyent

dyent Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Comet 2 dr., 302 w/AR aluminum heads, Toploader 4 spd, 9" Trac-Lok w/3.70
    Who did you finally use to ship the car?

14. Stingrayiii

Stingrayiii Member

Vehicle:
    The buyer found an independent shipper from here. One person hauling my car to there then coming back to NM with another he sold. Just a guy with a truck and trailer.