Side windows - Plastic pins?

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Sallythe71, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Sallythe71

Sallythe71 Member

Vehicle:
    71 2dr
    Hey y’all,
    My side windows were out of alignment, so I popped off the door panels, and it looks like someone decided to keep them on the channel with a bolt and some washers... Bought some new plastic pin/grommet/clip things from Melvin’s, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how they attach. Just pinning the glass and channel together isn’t nearly a tight enough fit, and they just pop right out. Further research yields tales of something with a center pin? How exactly do these guys go in? Or did I get the wrong part?

Attached Files:

2. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    Those are the right ones. The steel slider bar has a hole that should match the glass holes (not all years are the same so model years matter). If you want to be really correct there is a small pad of tar paper that is at that spot too …. like a big postage stamp with the hole in it between the 2 parts to stop the glass from rattling.

Just reach in there and get the steel bar and window pressed together and then work the retainer into the hole with the pin out as in the picture. Insert it from the glass side into the bar. When everything is together and you are squeezing the parts together, press the pin into place to lock it all together. No tools are needed to assemble, just a good squeezing grip.

IMGP1091.JPG

3. Sallythe71

Sallythe71 Member

Vehicle:
    71 2dr
    The pin being the large plastic cylinder portion sticking out of the plastic bushing? Doesn’t seem to move if I put force on it, is the plastic supposed to be two pieces?

4. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    The piece you are calling the bushing and the pin are 2 pieces and can be separated from one another, it usually takes some force to push the pin in, like using a drift punch and hammer. Try and make the pin go in before you put it on the window frame and take it apart again it just may be too tight for its own good and needs to be worked free

5. Sallythe71

Sallythe71 Member

Vehicle:
    71 2dr
    Excellent! Didn’t wanna force it too hard if it wasn’t supposed to be two pieces.

6. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Also, look at the attachment points. One on mine was slotted, while the rest were round. I seem to recall that being one of the holes in the track. If you find that, anchor the first pin at the location where the hole in both pieces are round. That positively locates the glass in the right spot. Then finish by pinning the location with the slot. The location with the oval slot is there to allow the glass and the track to expand and contract at different rates with temperature. It is there to keep from putting a strain on the glass.

7. Fastkarz

Fastkarz Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber 347/AOD/4.11
    Yeah, old thread I know but it led me to the answer.....Just had one of these fail on the passenger window. I ordered new pins from Melvin's as recommended. Here is the part number if anybody needs it:

D1FZ62234A46A - Door Glass Retainer 71-77 COMET

www.melvinsclassicfordparts.com