Soi, i'm thinking of throwing my Maverick up on Ebay...

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Streamliner, Jun 9, 2013.

1. kboldin

kboldin Alain De Cadenet Has My Job!

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    From NY to Florida??? From 90 to 110 usable days on the calendar to about 350 days per year (give or take a tropical storm to two). I’d say keep it, use it, enjoy it and don’t look back. I think Junrai has it right, you’ll eventually regret the sale.

2. junrai

junrai Member

Vehicle:
    1972 mercury comet 1972 comet gt
    amd if you do list it and it doesnt sell atleast you can take the highest real bid and consider that as a real world market value for your car considering someone actually bids a decent offer in the mid to high teens.
    it would be a radical first car for some beyond spoiled rich kid or a good race car for a guy that is in the hurt for a car after wrecking his in the middle of the season or competition. do they even let you come back in a competition if you wreck or destroy your first car? are you allowed to come right back in with a back up car? maybe lose a few places or something?

if I had any kind of real money to offer I would check it out just because it beyond cool
    and every time I see it it looks cooler yet

3. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Same usual crap, it's almost like no one wants anyone else's car to be worth anything...even if its a car they could only dream of having.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  4. bayareamav2

bayareamav2 Member

Vehicle:
    71 and 73 maverick
    I agree with Dave...no one will respect mavericks until maverick owners start respecting their own cars. Everytime anything about prices comes up everyone is always so negative. That car is literally the only one in the world like that and $15000 really isnt alot of money. God forbid a maverick sells for over 20,000.

5. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    that's what makes it real time prices...you're building a noncollectable car.
    if it was a total restore it still would be worth very little as to what was invested to get it there...
    they're all "one of a kind"...:yup:

6. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Who says they aren't "collectible" we all collect them?

7. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    The aftermarket does. And.. "We".. are a very small contingent in the scheme of the collector car market.

When you see all kinds of the hard to find re-popped parts showing up at 50 different vendors around the net?.. then you'll know for sure that your car will be worth something to the general population.. sale prices will go up.. and unrestored pristine examples will start fetching 40k+.

Until then.. regardless of what we think they're worth due to dumping tens of thousands, hundreds of hours, and any sentimental value that may have been attached onto the price tag.. the market will only bear what IT feels the car is worth.

So, in the end.. if you really want to sell the car.. you'll get what it's worth to others in the market for one. But if you want all your money and hard earned cash back out of the deal by expecting 40k?.. then I'm guessing you probably better start preparing a plot large enough to be buried in it.

8. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    You guys are out of touch. After talking to many NOS parts dealers last weekend, they have seen a huge increase in people looking for Maverick & Comet parts, and they are starting to demand, and get good money for the parts, there are people out that that actually spend money, I know it's hard to believe...but they do. There was a 72 Grabber that sold on Friday for $2500, and it was pretty rusty. As for aftermarket, I'm surprised places like Auto Krafters don't drop Mavericks all together, with all the hate that's generated from people on here for them, but like the guy there told me, we have way more customers that don't even go online.
    Think what you want....if you don't like the cars, then why have one?

9. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    So, according to logic like this? To change the market value of our cars.. everyone who owns a Maverick or Comet on here should expect to get at least 2k for a parts car.. 5k for a rusty clunker that might be usable for a restoration.. 10k for a mediocre driver.. 20k for a decently factory restored car.. and 50k for a really nice restomod with bigger engine?.. or will flat out just not sell the car if those price demands are not met?

Ok.. I'm game.. let's dream a little.

Would prices change due to demand suddenly outpacing the supply? Sure they would over time. Maybe even skyrocket like a Hemi powered Mopar?.. lol.. dream on econo-muscle lovers!

Would the aftermarket start making more repop parts due to those potentially higher profit margins that go hand in hand with higher value cars? Sure they would over time.

Hate to break it the purist Maverick and Comet lovers out there who admire their cars like no others.. but the harsh reality is this. It's an economy car that had too little to offer.. far too late in the game to bring it to the same level as other more collectible.. and more importantly.. DESIRABLE collector cars. Then add to that the sheer numbers produced and the disposable attitude created by the economy car image it was created from.. and you have the current situation we're all in.

But there is a larger light at the end of the tunnel if you're willing to wait or pass the car on to the grand children. As the unrestored cars sit out in the elements and go to waste, continue to get smashed up and parted out for the scrapper, to reduce overall numbers.. while all the other more collectible examples simultaniously get bought up, heavily restored, hoarded by museums and those collectors interested in making money from them years down the road?.. values will continue to increase.

Don't mean to sound so harsh.. but it's pure economics combined with desirability that makes or breaks the value of these cars.. not the owners short-selling them for their real worth.

10. Mad Goon

Mad Goon Scaring the Hondas

Vehicle:
    71 Comet 4dr(SOLD), 2016 Mustang GT Premium
    Shhh! We need to keep the prices of these cars down!

11. Hawkco

Hawkco Genuine Car Nut

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick
    If you want top dollar for a niche car, you have to use an auction like Mecum, RM Auctions, or maybe even Barrett-Jackson. I don't believe eBay is the best choice for a niche car unless you absolutely quick sale, you've stated that is not the case.

12. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    well some of us may be out of touch according to some "market experts" around here.. but that won't make or break the value of these cars when you realize that many buying one have never set foot on this site.. or any other after market vendors website for that matter.

And why does it need to be at one extreme or the other when it comes to debating about personal opinions? There's all kinds of in between mixed in there too. No one said they "hated these cars".

I'll be perfectly honest about my intentions with mine. I bought it because it has potential from the factory... not because it's perfect the way it is from the factory... build quality aside.

Plus.. it's light.. I can chop the hell out of it without thinking.. "damn.. I feel bad because there's only 2173 of these cars ever built".. and it's decent looking for the money spent. So, in the end don't begrudge me for liking the car for my reasons.. and I won't make begrudge you for yours. To each his own.

And if you remember the thread we're in here.. I'm guessing there's a reason why Streamliner chose to use this particular car.. instead of chopping up and mod'ing a very rare and expensive one.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  13. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Dave has a good point. Some of the real Maverick enthusiasts are not on this board or the internet all together. They are active in the hobby...just not active on the internet. I sell lots of those folks parts, and I see them at events, etc.

Now getting back to this thread topic: I really feel if this car were to sell, it would NOT be to a Maverick enthusiast at all. It would be to somebody who appreciates the car for what it is.

14. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber

so how do they source those high dollar parts?
    how do they know you sell maverick parts?
    what do you call a...Maverick enthusiast?
    people are looking for NOS parts...but are they finding them...:huh:
    I don't think there will ever be any ...respect...for the lowly Mav/Comet.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  15. groberts101

groberts101 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    I think you're right.. and Streamliner already pointed that out earlier.

I'm guessing the best potential buyer/highest bidder still bleeds blue.. just not from the mainstream accepted models. They'll dare to be different while still going just as fast.