Starsky & Hutch

Discussion in 'Mavericks/Comets in the Movies and Other Media' started by Mavaholic, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Corbin Johnson

Corbin Johnson Member

Vehicle:
    73 LDO, 72 Sprint, 70 Grabber.
    It was a good movie - saw it on friday. Lots of old cars to look at. It was fun to watch. They did quite a few burnouts...The car sounded good. :)
    -Corbin

Last edited: Mar 7, 2004
  2. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    I love that car almost as much as my Maverick...
    :D

3. badmav70

badmav70 Member

Vehicle:
    missing my 71 maverick i6 3 on the tree :(
    i just got the first season of starsky and hutch on dvd at wal mart yesterday, there are many mavericks driving around. it is pretty cool..

also saw the movie and thought it was pretty cool.. not quite as stupid as i thought it would have been.. wish they would have shown the car more..

4. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Those are neat cars but I cant imagine going to a car meet which had just those cars. They all look alike.

5. Hanible

Hanible Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 2 door Maverick 170 I6
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

i'm drowndin in a sea of read and white AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

now if they was mavericks or commets iwould be drowndin in a sea of happiness

6. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Now Dennis.....that might be like going to a Mustang show and saying they all look alike. :)

Since my buddy has one and I have been endoctrinated with his knowledge...I can tell you they all don't look alike. But then again....that is pretty sad that I can say that. :(

7. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    Saw the movie last night and really enjoyed it. I will say however, that whill Ben stiller did an awsome job portraying Starsky. Owen was not a very convincing Hutch. Hutch was always straight and level-headed while Starsky was a bit of a hot-head. But the movie portrayd Hutch as a little bit crooked, taking money that wasn't his and robbing bookies. I also didn't care for the scene on the beach with their Starsky & Hutch T-shirts. But overall, the movie was a real blast...
    :cool:

8. Evo

Evo New Member

Vehicle:
    1976 Ford Maverick named Trixie
    I post on a comedy forum, and when the subject of Starsky and Hutch came up, I posted saying "God, I hope there'll be a Maverick in it somewhere... Not that they were key in the series, but I'd love them and would love to see one thrown in."

The unanimous response was "What? Why?"

I could only respond that I'm a geek for Mavericks :)

Now, I can go see the movie without getting my hopes up of seeing one.

9. Kit Sullivan

Kit Sullivan Member

I have a 1976 Ford-original 'Starsky & Hutch' limited edtion Gran Torino (PS-122, for those of you in the know). It has the stock 202 horse 460 police interceptor, with a C-6 automatic and 2.53 non-locking rear gears. It is quite a dog. Couldn't turn the tires in a puddle of water while doing a brake stand. The very epitome of 'all show and no go'.

Even though the 'limited edition' model is NOT the one that was used in the production of the TV show, they still had similar drivetrains. With a miniscule weekly budget to keep, sound effects were about all the high-performance modifications they could afford.

On the 'Dukes', the only mods done to the Chargers was what was needed for a specific scene, like 600-800 ponds of weight in the trunk so it could make nice 'four-wheel' landings, and stuff like that. Most of them were just clapped out stock engines, most often a 318 2-barrell. Again...sound effects to the rescue!

10. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    A good cam and a set of 3.50 rearend gears would liven that thing up nicely...

11. Maverick73

Maverick73 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2 Dr, '73 Maverick LDO 4 Dr, '73 Maverick 4 Dr Parts Car
    Hey T.L. what kind of Cam does your car have? if you dont mind me asking.

12. Kit Sullivan

Kit Sullivan Member

Yeah, I once had a 73 Torino 'Sport' with the same drivetrain and it was pretty easy to get 400+ streetable horses out of it. With a 3.25 locker in it, it was a pretty respectable 2-ton performer.
    I don't want to change anything on the "Starsky & Hutch' car because it is a low mileage original.

13. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    No one sees the gears in the rearend or the cam inside the engine...I seriously doubt it would hurt the "original" value of the car...

14. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    I have a Comp Cams 268H. It's .456 lift and 218 degrees duration at 050. Why do you ask?...

15. Kit Sullivan

Kit Sullivan Member

I'm not really overly concerned hurting with the monetary value of the car to others, since I don't plan on ever selling it. Keeping the car as it is has value to me for personal reasons.
    And I'm not really too concerned with making it perform like a hot rod, because I already have a few pretty fast cars as it is, and I don't have a pressing need to build this one up too.
    The only modifications I have made to the car are the addition of the 'correct' mag wheels and tires (TV show correct, that is). It came stock with 14x7 painted 'Magnum 500s' with trim rings and HR78 'Uniroyal' RWL tires, which I have stored. The tires only have about 100 or so miles on them, and they look brand new, but I am sure they are dry rotted. the rims look excellent though.
    The mags I put on are 'American Racing' mags slotted dish,15x8 front and 15x10 rear, with (currently) 255/60/15s front, and 275/60/15s rear.
    Air shocks to give the back a little rake, and knuckles in the front springs to give the front end a little lift, as the TV show cars had.
    As delivered from Ford, the cars did not have the black pinstripe around the white stripe as the TV cars did, so I added that also.
    In 1978, I took the complete factory exhaust system off ( in one piece!) from the manifolds back, and put a factory-style 72 Torino, 429 dual-exhuast set-up on it, with 21" cherry bombs to give it that 'TV show' sound.(I still have the reciept from 'Mieneke Discount Mufflers' on Long Point in Houston Texas for $129.95 for the whole system!) They did a great job, using all the factory bend-cards so it looks like a stock system 'should have'.
    My intention was to be able to put it all back together as 100% factory-stock if the desire ever struck me, but it never has.
    I have the original build sheet showing it as a true '1 of 1,000' original 'Starsky & Hutch' units, and it still has the original paint on it.
    The factory-made versions were not actually identically painted to the TV show cars, and I had plans for many years to repaint it the 'correct' way. You know what happens when you plan things...I never got around to it, since it is perfectly presentable as is.
    The factory paint is pretty dismal by even the standards of the mid 70s, but hey...its original!
    The car is basically featureless. The Torinos of 76 all came standard with power steering and brakes and automatic tranmissions.
    The only options on mine, other than the 460 engine and the 'Limited Edition' (Starsky & Hutch) package are the am/fm 8-track radio, body-side protection group, air conditioning and a floor console with floor shifter. Pretty basic stuff.
    The 'Limited Edition' package consisted of:
    Bright red paint (2B), with a colonial white stripe.
    Black, pleated all-vinyl interior
    Vinyl roof and opera window delete(standard on Gran Torinos)
    dual body-color racing mirrors
    bumper protection group
    conveniance group (interior, under hood and trunk lights)
    14x7 Magnum 500s w/ HR78 RWL tires

Interstingly, the car did NOT come with the gauge package,(which WAS an option) which looks kinda odd, considering it has a console and 460. There is a big, blank annoying circle on the dash where the optional clock would have gone. The hash marks are all around the circumference, but there are no numbers or (obviously) hands, and no plastic lense covering it. Looks really cheap-skate.
    It also came with a 2.53 peg-leg gear, and no optional gears were available. Limited slip was available, but did not come on this one.
    And, it only had a single exhaust, but with FOUR(!) catalytic converters! Even with the PI motor, no duals were available. Don't let the 'Police Interceptor' name fool you: It basically means nothing, as all 460s were labled as PIs in passenger cars that year. Nothing special about them at all.

I got the car in 77 from the original owner for $1,800 with 15,000 miles on it. He gave me the window sticker which showed $6480 retail price.

I only drive the car about once every year or so. My son and I may do a complete restoration and build-up on it when he gets a little older, but I haven't made up my mind yet.

Oh well....sorry to bore you with all the silly S&H info!