Starter question

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by chandler, Jul 4, 2017.

1. chandler

chandler Member

Vehicle:
    Maverick
    Got lucky and found another maverick the owner had said they could not start it after getting the C-4 transmission rebuilt?! I got it home and threw a battery in it, sounded like the starter was not engaging all the way to the flywheel. No problem I have another starter I bench check to be sure works fine. I put it on it does the same thing. After more inspection it appears the flywheel is the smaller 13 1/4" in dia. compared to the larger flywheel that is 14 1/4" (I have these hanging on my wall for reference) Are there different starters for a C-4? I cannot find the tag on the transmission to see what year it is, its missing. Any help would be appreciated

2. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Check to see if there is two bolt holes in the upper position on bell(may be lower)... I've seen bells for the 164T flexplate have both... What I don't know is if the extra bolt hole will help your issue... Sounds like you have a 157T flexplate in a large bell C4 or maybe C5...

3. chandler

chandler Member

Vehicle:
    Maverick
    Here is a picture as I measured from the teeth of the flywheel to the bell housing and I have 7/16" of gap trans.jpg

4. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Well since we are comparin' sizes...

You no doubt have a different bell than mine has...

[​IMG]