Starting getting harder and harder...

Discussion in 'Technical' started by AppMaverick, Jan 18, 2014.

1. AppMaverick

AppMaverick Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick 2dr
    Starting my car is getting tougher and tougher. Started having the problem a couple of weeks ago. Fresh 302/new 4-barrel Eddelbrock.

Once it starts once, it'll start easy peasy for the rest of the day. Killed my battery once already trying to start it...

Mechanical fuel pump going bad maybe? Any other thoughts?

2. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Dirty fuel filter? Colder weather? Is the choke working? Do you pump the gas at all, before turning the key?

3. baddad457

baddad457 Member

Not enough info. What ignition are you running ? What is the initial timing set at ?Describe how you start it.

4. AppMaverick

AppMaverick Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick 2dr
    Just killed the battery again lol

Seems to be worse on cold days.. It looks like fuel is be shot when the throttle is pushed, but could it be flooding out on it's own over night?

How I have gotten it to start is by treating it as if it's flooded. Pedal to the floor and slowly lift up on it as I crank the ignition.

Petronix ignitor ignition, battery has 600 cold cranking amps, not sure of the initial timing, fuel filter has less than 1,000 miles on it, gas tank was brand new and has less than 4,000 miles on it. Fuel pump has less than 1,000 miles on it, but the car sat in the garage unstarted for a year until about alil over a month ago. Was starting like a beast just turning the key a few weeks ago.. I've put about 700+ miles on it since it's been back on the road.

I try to start it first just turning the key. Then I give it one pump and try. Then I try starting it as if it's flooded. Then I try giving it a bunch of pumps and try starting it. Just turning the key and the one pump have yet to work in the first couple of weeks. Daily driver, so I start it alot.

5. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    I usually pump my carbed engines at least three times before trying to start when it's colder...

I can't get any attention from my 428CJ unless I pump it 6 or 8 times when cold and needs 3 or 4 in warmer weather...

6. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Pump it, before you turn the key, just once or twice.

7. junrai

junrai Member

Vehicle:
    1972 mercury comet 1972 comet gt
    sounds like the carb needs adjusting and the battery is weak

8. AppMaverick

AppMaverick Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick 2dr
    I'm thinking it has to be the battery...

Pumping amounts hasn't seem to make a difference the last couple of weeks.

Got a new battery a couple of weeks ago and this all started the first cold morning after. Just doesn't make sense because 600 cold cranking amps should be plenty for a 302 based on what's on the store's computer... Not even that cold here (maybe gets down to 20 at night). Might switch it out for a battery with 800+ CCA and see if the problem goes away. Wasn't cold here before the new battery - so it's hard to compare.

Once it's running, it's the most reliable car I've ever owned. Runs like a top. Total confidence in it.

9. junrai

junrai Member

Vehicle:
    1972 mercury comet 1972 comet gt
    why did you put in a new battery? the new battery needs to be replaced again exchange it for a new one.

once you get your car started take it to your nearest auto zone and ask them to see if its charging correctly make sure your alternator belt is tight as well

turn your car off and disconnect the battery cable then slowly touch the cable back to the battery to see if you see a spark. if you do you have something staying on draining the battery

10. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer)
    Use a test light and connect one end to the disconnected negative cable and probe the negative terminal. If you get a light something is shorted or on. I dont suggest making a spark on top or near the battery. If there is not enough air flow you could create an explosion.

11. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Any newer sound system, with a clock will cause that.

12. baddad457

baddad457 Member

A 600 amp battery is nothing. I buy at least an 800+ amp. Also clean the battery terminals and cable ends. Also check the initial timing, should be at least 10-12* BTC. Pump the pedal twice, then try her. Might need to wait til the bowls are full if it's been sitting awile, electric fuel pumps are great for this, you can turn the key on, then wait for the fuel to fill the bowls before cranking it. The starter condition is also critical, an old starter or even a fresh reman with old field coils will draw too much juice away from the ignition to fire the plugs adequately.

13. AppMaverick

AppMaverick Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick 2dr
    Thanks guys!

I'll try the test light to see if I have anything staying on. No stereo or other upgrades yet.

Belt is nice and tight, alt is new, starter is new, battery cables are new.

Bought a new battery because I accidently cracked the plastic on the top of my old one try force a battery cable from my dad's jeep onto the terminal. It was dumb. Loved that battery... 800+CCA gone :(

If I go to change out that battery, I'm going to see if they'll let me upgrade by paying the difference. Last time they upgraded me for free to the gold top die hard from the red top because I pitched such a fit about it not working right (I was young and fiery...). That's was with my 4.1L engine (Same size starter) This is the redtop again that I just got.

Thinking it's either gotta be that, some sort of draining like you guys suggested checking for, or I haven't ruled out fuel shortage... but that's sounding unlikely.

14. AppMaverick

AppMaverick Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick 2dr
    Ok.. Is definitely the battery. Kept it inside over night to keep it warm and the car started right up in the morning on the first try - only one pump. I'll change it out for higher CCA's the next time I'm down near the autozone I got it at.

Thanks guys!

15. AppMaverick

AppMaverick Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick 2dr
    Hahahaha melting the wires going to the alternator on the battery side of the selenoid trying to start it. Sheesh.... getting a ride into work.