Steering columb interchange

Discussion in 'Parts Interchange' started by Survival276, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Survival276

Survival276 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    I have a 1970 200ci Maverick with columb shift non locking and ignition key on the dash. Now after removing my original steering columb, i think it has come to the end of its life,(i maybe wrong). The problem i'm having is I live in the UK and i have one of about 3 mavericks that i've seen in the country. Mustangs on the other hand are plentiful. My question, is there a mustang or another columb that i can use in its place? Or a company suppling aftermarket columbs that will fit? Or you may have one for sale?

Thanks

2. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Nope, you'll need to find another Maverick one.

3. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
  4. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    Sorry to get off topic, but I gotta say, man that is a cool car you have. Not only is it likely the only '69.5 in the UK, you probably have the only right hand drive '69.5 in existence! Very neat car! I'd love to see the VIN and other codes on that car.

And just for reference, if you do try to get another used column, you need to be sure to get one for a '69.5. The later '70 column will not work. I wonder if there is any difference in your column, being that the car is RHD?

DSC00040.JPG

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  5. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    How would you like to buy a nice dash pad off eBay and open the box to find out it came off a RHD Maverick! :hmmm:

6. just1993

just1993 Mike

Vehicle:
    70' & 71' 2 Door and 76 4 Door
    Where was this car manufactured. Can you still buy steering parts for the car. Like steering box, idler arm, drag link. If you can, we over in the US can make a right hand drive very simple. This is something i have thought of many times.

7. Jamie Miles

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    What would you do for the dash? The dash in that car looks like it came from the factory like that to me. Finding another RHD dash would probably be near impossible?

8. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    with a good bit of sectioning and some fabrication you could turn a LHD into RHD.The pad would be a bit tougher.cutting and sectioning the pad would take some creativity.

9. just1993

just1993 Mike

Vehicle:
    70' & 71' 2 Door and 76 4 Door
    I have recovered my own dash pad & I know I could easily section it to make it right hand drive. Same with the dash. It would be very interesting to roll into a car show with right hand drive!!!

10. CornedBeef4.6L

CornedBeef4.6L no longer here

Vehicle:
    no longer here
    Somebody at the gathering told me they used a 68 mustang column in theirs...

He had 69.5 maverick...

I couldn't back that up with any factual XP though. Anybody here got a stang column to compare

11. Survival276

Survival276 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Hi guys. Sorry for getting back to you so late. My Maverick has been converted to RHD i think using australian parts, (steering gear, center link and idler arm). All have part numbers starting AR. I believe that the steering columb is original.

I got this car from a guy in London for £350. Which i thought was cheap, but with the work i've done to it and its still not road worthy. How wrong was I.

She still has the 200ci straight six. Soon to be a 302 V8.
    8" back axle from a 72 mustang.
    SSBC front disk brake conversion kit.

I'll try and remember to get part numbers for the guy who asked for them. If you would like to see more pictures i'll up load some more soon. Thanks

12. Jamie Miles

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    He PM'ed me the codes off the door tag. Pretty run of the mill '69.5, except the one thing that caught my eye. The DSO is 90, which means the car was intentionally built to be exported out of the country. That's the first Maverick I've ever seen with the export DSO. It seems most of these cars that end up in other countries were exported from the U.S. by private individuals, and have DSO's matching a U.S. city.

Other then that, it was built at the St. Thomas plant, factory 200 I6 car with a C4 trans, 7.5 rear with a 2.83:1 gear, the car was "Medium Peppermint Metallic" exterior with Black vinyl interior. It was built on Monday, June 23, 1969.

13. Survival276

Survival276 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Thats great thanks. Is i possible to get more info from the factory on this car. Maybe it was built RHD from the start/

14. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    All of these cars like this were converted to RHD...none ever were done at the factory.

15. HARRYJOHNSON

HARRYJOHNSON Member

Vehicle:
    COMET 73
    rhd steering

have you triedto rebuild yours you could probably use nost of the parts from a lefthand drive If I lived in the uk and had a rhd Comet or mav I SURE AS HELL WOULD TRY IT backburnryharry@msn.com good luck