Swapping a 200 i6 for a 302 v8

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by DisBeKyYo, Nov 8, 2016.

1. DisBeKyYo

DisBeKyYo New Member

Vehicle:
    73' Ford Maverick Sedan 200 I6
    Hello all,

New to the forums here. I've got a bone stock '73 Mav 4Door with the 200 i6 and the C4 trans. I want to drop in a late model roller 302 most likely pulled from a late 90's-early 00's Explorer since they are so cheap around here. I need help on figuring out what all I need in order to swap it in.

It's not going to be a built or modded motor, we're keeping it stock here. Would the 200 i6 version of the C4 hold up to a stock 302 HO? I hear that it doesn't have enough clutch packs to be strong enough for the 302. What will I need to bolt it up if it will work? I am not looking for high horsepower, it will just be a stock plain-jane 302 swap as a daily driver.

I will be swapping the EFI to a carb, would I be able to get a mechanical pump working? If not, what should I do about fuel? I don't want to deal with everything involved with an EFI system, I am much more familiar with carburetors and thats how it'll be.

Heres all that I assume I need, I may not need some of this stuff but this is what I've seen other people saying I need to swap a late model 302 in, gathering from the various lists around here and elsewhere:

-The 302 itself, will be a HO roller cam late model
    -Intake, carb (any recommendations for a daily driver? I assume somewhere round 550-600cfm)
    -Distributor (what will work? I hear the gear from the 200 distributor will not match the late model gear, need recommendations)
    -Water pump from a late model Crown Vic or LTD for the reverse flow
    -Motor mounts
    -Frame mounts
    -V8 crossmember
    -V8 bellhousing
    -Front sump oil pan since the double or rear sump oil pans would not fit correctly
    -V8 manifold (any headers that would work without having to bend them/bend the shift linkage?)
    -(?) Electric fuel pump and regulator

I almost think I'm way over-complicating things here... if I am please let me know!

Apologies if this is found elsewhere on the forum, as I cannot seem to find what I specifically need.

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it!

2. Hotrock

Hotrock Rick, an MCCI Member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet, 1997 Mustang Cobra, 2019 Ford Edge ST
  3. Paul Masson

Paul Masson MCCI Atlantic Canada Rep

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber
    :Welcome: from Atlantic Canada! There is tons of info on this swap. Use the link @Hotrock supplied above, or perform a search. Without going into too much detail, you'll need a 250/302 Trans (more clutches/steels than 170/200 trans, and different bell housing), a 157-tooth 50 oz flexplate (aftermarket only). Like I said, there's tons more info, but it's all here on the forums. Many others have done this, just do some more digging and you'll find all the info you need.

4. William623

William623 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 ford maverick grabber
    If you are going explorer get the 96-97 gt40. Do not get the gtp40 heads. The plug angle is wrong and it is a lot of work to make it work. You will need a 157 tooth 50 oz flex plate. An early style timing cover, a oil filter adaptor, front sump oil pan, front sump oil pick up tube, water pump ( I used 86 LTD), and a new dip stick. If you are not going to rebuild the motor find one with less than 90K miles. You will need a distributor with a steel gear and I suggest you buy a mini starter while you are at it. You can go with headers but the stock manifolds will work. Then you will need everything for the V8 swap. Look to spend 1500-2000 dollars at the very least for everything.

5. William623

William623 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 ford maverick grabber
    I just did this swap this past weekend. If you have any questions just ask.

6. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Unless you use the Sploder timing cover, water pump, and complete front engine dress(brackets pulleys etc), you'll need a earlier timing cover all the above for std rotation... The Sploder cover has no provision for a mechanical fuel pump and used a unique CCW water pump that is similar if not same as '94-'95 Mustang & '91-'93 T-Birds... Whether they are CW or CCW, early style pumps will NOT fit the Explorer timing cover...

As you know if you were to use the original trans you'll need a V8 bell housing PLUS uou'll need the matching torque converter... One for 200 is far too small and has ring gear made onto it...

7. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
  8. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
  9. DisBeKyYo

DisBeKyYo New Member

Vehicle:
    73' Ford Maverick Sedan 200 I6
    Thanks for all the help guys! Apologies for not responding quicker, something came up.