The rebuild!!!

Discussion in 'Maverick/Comet Projects' started by 73'goose, May 3, 2009.

1. 73'goose

73'goose 1/4 mile junkie

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick
    MY 73,

Alright, I know I have not been on in awhile because I have been trying to figure my new plans for the maverick. So now that I have figured things out and am starting to get things underway I wanted to update all who have helped countless times

As many of you know I had problems at the end of the year last year right before the division 7 finals. I had ran into a bent push rod, chewed up cam, and grooves in the cylinder walls. So I decided the 289 had did its time and it was time to upgrade.

For the last few months it has been a lot of decision-making on where and what I want to do. I tossed around ideas on different engines and played with the idea of a supercharger.

After talking to a bunch a different people I have decided to go with the original 302 engine, but have bought a new dart block. Along with the block we have got a 347 stroker kit. I also did decide to go the s/c route. I found a really cheap D1-x procharger.

My original plan was to run in the Pro et category running in the 10’s. So I would have a lot of work strengthening and putting all the safety stuff etc. in it. But after our last local race, watching a friend run his 5.0 mustang with almost the same combo I plan to build, found out the car will have a lot more potential to be a lot faster. Running on a small amount of boost for the procharger he ran a 10.20. M stripped mav weighs at least 500 pounds lighter. Taking everything in account my car is going to have potential to go a lot faster.

To make things more difficult I am still gonna be driving the car to the track because we already have a full blown drg car that my brother races that needs to be trailered and we don’t even have 1 so im still going to try and keep it streetable . So I have decided to go with an efi set up as well.

It was going to be a slow process strengthening everything already, but with the new info its gonna take a lot more care. I am going to try to build the car to be able to be fully certified to be an 8 sec car so I will not have to redo anything in the future.

Some of the immediate plans we are trying to care of is the roll cage, possibly going with mustang II front end, mini tub, sub frame connectors, 9” rear end, fuel system , and disc brakes. I know there is some things im forgetting but that’s a brief preview., but basically taking care of the structure of the car so we can get a rolling chassis going and then we will start piecing together the rest of the engine.

So there we go that’s what is going on with my 73 maverick. Just giving you all an update and if u have any advice or comments let me know. I also will be in need of a lot of parts(some listed below) and if u have anything that you don’t need anymore let me know:

9”
    EFI set up (everything but intake)
    Fuel cell/pump/system
    Harnesses
    Rear wheel/tires

And more I can’t think of if you have anything that may help let me know .

THANKS
    KEVIN

2. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    An 8 second street car...now that will be interesting. :character0182:

3. 73'goose

73'goose 1/4 mile junkie

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick
    yeah even though it will be able to drive on the street the only street time it will most likely see will be the short 15min drive to infineon. :drive: