Toploader 4 speed - what is your non-stock clutch setup

Discussion in 'Technical' started by rayzorsharp, May 24, 2006.

1. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    Okay guys, I was getting ready to convert my blue car over to a toploader 4 speed to have a little more fun with it.
    I have run into a problem with my headers and zbar. I have a factory zbar and it doesn't look like it's going to work with my pretty jet hot coated headers. :( I don't know what brand they are but regardless, I don't want to change out headers.
    I know there's been talk of running clutch cables and talk of going hydraulic. I did a forum search but didn't find a good answer. There is the issue of the cable pushing/pulling the clutch fork. Has anybody come up with something that works on the toploader?
    If not, who is using a hydraulic clutch with a toploader? How well does it work and what setup are you using?
    Help me out here guys...gotta get this car ready for Round-Up.
    Thanks

2. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Ray ... there are some nice cable conversion kits out there ... but for a late model 5-speed ... not a 4-speed. I have seen some cable conversions that require a very long cable since it has to loop around and pull the clutch lever from the back side. Somehow a bracket must be attached to the tranny or floorboard to make this happen. Pretty sure I seen it at Mustangs Unlimited.

Would probably be cheaper and easier (except for the engine mount) to sell the headers you have and buy some Hooker 6901's that fit perfect with the V8 z-bar ...

Dan

3. Comick76

Comick76 Grease Monkey

Vehicle:
    76 Comet
    I not running a toploader. But, I think my setup would work for that as well. I've got a blowproof housing with the orig pivot arm set in there. so I could use the Z bar. I got really tired of the z binding due to bad bushings. I changed to a hydraulic puller set-up. The master is a wilwood 7/8" with a remote resevoir. It's mounted HIGH on the firewall so I could get the most leverage out of the clutch pedal. I left the helper spring on the pedal as originally installed by the factory. Couple of feet of brake tubing down under the floor to a hand made bracket. And then a Brake hose from and early drum brake car to a puller slave cylinder mounted behind the pivot arm. It's far enough away from my exhaust to not have a problem. Tho it will get an aluminum shield eventually. I made a bracket that uses two bolts from the tail shaft housing(WCT5 tranny) to hold the back of the puller. It works like a dream. Ever drove a honda civic with a stick? Nice clutch action....Mine is exactly the same.

4. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Your system sounds pretty good Comic. Got ant pics? When I do my Comet GT, I'd like to go hydraulic.

5. Comick76

Comick76 Grease Monkey

Vehicle:
    76 Comet
    I'll get some pics tomorrow If I have time. Everyone that has had bad brakes for 6 months and 8000 miles overdue for an oil change will be in because they are going out of town for memorial day. Happens every holiday. If not tomorrow then monday.

6. Comick76

Comick76 Grease Monkey

Vehicle:
    76 Comet
    hmmm...got picts just not sure how to post them. I can take your engine out, strip it down and rering it, and have it back in and running in an afternoon but I'm a total moron when it comes to html.

7. fourbrrl

fourbrrl Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Grabber 357 inch 392 HP windsor
    does ANY company make the hyd TO bearing for toploader mavs ? I am thinking of gettin one for a mustang w/toploader. I CAN fabricate brackets to make the master throw correct..anyone using / trying that ?

I have a c6 from behind a 351c boss, tci s streetfighter, custom d-shaft...tired of making headers work on my 357 windsor c6 combo.....

gonna fab some coil overs for the ft susp also, to widen those damned restrictive shock towers... RRS is TOOO proud.Most others that offer "kits" are to.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  8. lm14

lm14 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick, 1937 Ford Tudor, 1962 F100
    I've been researching the same thing. Several years ago we ran a hydraulic Chevy t.o bearing on a top loader 3 speed by turning the front bearing retainer down to the GM size. No Ford diameter bearings were available then. Worked fine in a circle track car.

Here is a link to some info I found.

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/tra...ydraulic-throwout-bearing-your-toploader.html

There are now several manufacturers making hyd t/o bearings to fit the top loader. Remember, a smaller master cylinder will put out more pressure than a bigger one. I would recommend a 3/4" mc with most hydraulic clutch situations unless the manufacturer tells you differently.

SPark

9. mav1970

mav1970 Bob Hatcher

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 393 Cleveland Stroker

I am planning on doing the exact set up that you have so I would be interested in photos also. I have a Tilton 7/8 cylinder and a CNC puller type slave. When you go to reply to this thread, scroll down to the "manage attachments" button. That ought to help. :)

10. John Holden

John Holden Member

Hey rayzopsharp, did you try the z-bar with your headers or just look at it and assume it won't fit? Because to be honest when you look up there it looks like there's no way the zbar will fit but it does (if you have the hooker headers). I just had to grind a little "extra material" off of the zbar for clearance and it was easy. And I'm pretty sure all the big clutch manufacturers make a
    Hydraulic bearing for a toploader.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  11. dan gregory

dan gregory Member

Vehicle:
    1970 maverick
    I have a set of hedmans and am going to run the same set up.I do not have the mtr. in the car yet,but noticed that the master cyl.will have removed to get it in.This should give me enough room to do any fabricating I need to do.

12. MSmithPDX

MSmithPDX Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet (sold to scrapper), 1974 Comet GT
    7 year old thread. I'm pretty sure he solved it.

13. baddad457

baddad457 Member

McCleod's hydro throw out bearing works on a Toploader. I used one in my 89 Ranger when I had a Toploader 4 speed in it. I used it with the Ranger's stock mastercylinder. Saving it now for my Comet.

14. mavgrab302

mavgrab302 MCCI Florida State Rep

Vehicle:
    71 Maverick Grabber
    I just talked to Bruce at modern driveline, he has a working prototype of a hydraulic set up for a 157 tooth bell housing w/ top loader 4 speed... I'm going to contact him again today and see how close the release date is... It will have a master w/linkage that mounts through the hole the rod go's and remote reservoir. hoses down to a internal hydraulic throw out bearing... Google them they have some nice stuff...

15. mavgrab302

mavgrab302 MCCI Florida State Rep

Vehicle:
    71 Maverick Grabber