Tranmission trouble

Discussion in 'Transmissions' started by mave1970, Nov 1, 2006.

1. mave1970

mave1970 Member

Vehicle:
    maverick 1970 302 2d
    Hi,

I have maverick -70 302 C4, anyone have idea what's wrong/broken when warm, i have trouble getting reverse in gear :( and sorry if there is misspelling, i live in Finland :tiphat:

2. mean_maverick

mean_maverick Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '73 4dr
    Sounds Like U Need An Overhaul. The Bands And Clutches Probably Have Excessive Wear On Them. Hope This Helps

3. broncoisl

broncoisl Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet 351W
    Hi I agree, probably nothing you can fix your self, so have a pro take a look at it. By the way I was in Helsinki this summer and saw what looked like a really nice 66 Shelby Mustang Fastback. Show us a picture of your Maverick.

4. mave1970

mave1970 Member

Vehicle:
    maverick 1970 302 2d
    Thank you, just got the car yesterday evening, starting to rip a part to night, previous owner said that it had that kind of problem :cool:

5. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    :Welcome: to the board!!

6. wagesofsin

wagesofsin Official Lurkologist

Vehicle:
    74 challenger , 73 'cuda , 72 challenger , 74 barracuda
    i would p.m. paul s. as everyone here knows, hes the go -to guy on trans's. you may not have a serious issue, perhaps an adjustment, but then again, it may have taken a dirt nap. i'd talk at him first before i got all silly about it.

:drink: just my .02 wages

7. PaulS

PaulS Member extrordiare

Vehicle:
    1966 Mustang, 1972, 73, 73 and 73 Mavericks
    I haven't gotten the PM but if it is only reverse you may not have to pull that tranny out. You will want to jack it up high enough to be able to get underneath it (and out of there) easily.
    First check the shift linkage adjustment and the band adjustment.
    If they check out ok and only reverse is affected then remove the rear servo cover, servo piston and seal assy. The spring will probably come out too and under a bit of speed so you might want to have a box in front of the servo as you pull it apart. You are going to lose some ATF so have some type F on hand. Either inspect the seal and piston on that rear servo or just replace it with a new one - lubricated well with vaseline. Put the cover on with a new seal and see if that fixes the problem. That rear servo only works in manual low (and the one way clutch can hide a leaking seal) and in reverse - the one way clutch doesn't hold in reverse only in forward so if reverse is all that is not working then that servo stands out as an easy first try as far as repairs go.
    By the way guys, Thanks for the plug! I do know a bit about the C4 and how it works but then after 35 years you would be expected to have learned something.
    To complete the repair you will need 3 qts type F ATF, 1 Servo piston/seal assembly, 1 square ring seal for the servo cover, and a small bottle of vaseline.
    Areas to pay close attention to are:
    where the seal and steel piston are bonded - as you peal the seal down away from the back end (pressure side) of the piston toward the apply pin if you see any cracking that is your problem.
    Be sure to clean the inside of the piston bore.
    Lube the piston bore, shaft and seal with vaseline or ATF
    make sure the cover is clean where the rubber ring seal rides
    After installing the new cover "square ring seal", lube it with vaseline
    lube the chamfer (the sealing surface on the top of the piston bore)
    Put the spring on the shaft, push them into the bore and make sure that it engages the band. Hold the cover close enough to get two opposite screws started. Start the other two screws and then tighten them down as evenly as you can. Torque to specs (15 to 20 ft pounds I think) and then fill the tranny with it running in "Park" until it is half way between add and full. Test reverse while it is off the ground. If it still doesn't work then you will have to pull the tranny and rebuild it. You won't need to replace the rear servo piston because that has already been done. (you will want to check it though - always)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
  8. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

I agree on waiting to pull the trans out. Assuming you do not have a pressure gauge to install in the port in front of the shift lingage, the first check I would make before doing anything with the servo, is to drain and remove the pan. Probably has not been done before and needs fluid and filter change anyway. Look for lot's of dark grey sludge( clutch material etc) and sparkles of brass or steel filings. A small amout is normal but if there is lot's of it, then I would go ahead and pull it out for rebuild. Clean or replace filter, then remove the servo cover and piston for inspection. With the pan off, will make it easier to reinstall, as described. You will be able to make sure the band strut is in position for the piston rod to engage it correctly. Replace the pan and gasket and do not overtighten, especially using cork gasket. Just trying to save you some labor and frustration.