Tune up project. Need help

Discussion in 'Maverick/Comet Projects' started by Billy Bonham, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Billy Bonham

Billy Bonham Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet
    Working with the 302 with the Motorcraft 2100 2bbl carb. I have just rebuilt the carburetor. The engine runs pretty great but when it revs from an idle it bogs down almost to a stall. The timing is set at around 8 degrees before TDC but im thinking about advancing it a bit. Idle is set 4 full turns from all the way in.

2. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Idle is almost never more than 1½ out, but that likely isn't the bog problem(in fact may be helping as idle mixture is probably too rich)... Timing is OK but it'll probably run better at 10-12*... The bog is likely accelerator pump shot is weak/misadjusted or the float is too low...

These carbs were designed to used with closed air cleaner and hot air pickup, so from approx '72-up carbs tended to be too lean from factory... If you're running a open element air cleaner they'll almost always bog without some tweaking from stock. This includes raising float and maybe upping jet size(good luck there, Ford carb jets are mostly unobtainium)...

3. Billy Bonham

Billy Bonham Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet
    Thanks so much man! Being a full time student, I can only work on this during the weekends but ill make sure to take the top plate off to make a few adjustments to the float and possibly see about getting new jets. Also my engine still gets a cough, but that could be a number of things.

4. Dwarvey

Dwarvey Member

Vehicle:
    71 Ford Maverick
    I haven't looked at a 2 bbl carb in a few years, but spent over 20 years rebuilding equipment carbs. If the carb has a "H" adjustment screw. Try adjusting that while it's running. Slight turn rev, and listen for the response. My Dad taught me to tune carbs that way when I was a little boy.

5. Billy Bonham

Billy Bonham Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet
    Okay y'all don't laugh, but I figured out my problem. The previous owner had changed the plugs and the plug wires. Being a licensed shop owner, I assumed he would know how to put wires back onto a distributer. 4 Cylinders were wired right, 4 were fighting the engine. I am not sure how this thing even ran, but now it's happier than ever and has already laid a little bit of the new white walls on the asphalt!

6. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    That's what happens when someone ASSumes all Ford small blocks have same firing order...

7. Billy Bonham

Billy Bonham Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet
    I believe he had set the firing order for the 351 Cleveland. I feel so bad for running the engine as much as I did like that.

8. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    The Cleveland and Windsor as well as HO 5.0 are all same...