Turn signals and hazzards

Discussion in 'Technical' started by smegnl, Sep 26, 2021.

1. smegnl

smegnl Roger Saffle Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Grabber Clone
    Awhile back I replaced my lights with LED and an LED flasher
    ( http://smegnl.medina.oh.us/index.php/maverick/99-led-lights )
    All was well, but today I tested my lights cuz I was putting in headlight relays, and I noticed by turn signals AND hazards were not working. I had used two of these https://easyperformance.com/products/universal-flasher-module?_pos=1&_sid=40e3e56f6&_ss=r . I slapped the old metal flasher back in the hazards and they started working, ill be it flashing very fast.
    I just hate having to refix things. I hope both of the LED flashers have not gone bad on me.

As a side note, i did find out that the flashers always have power, which I did not know. Maybe these are just not made to run all the time?

[​IMG]

2. ADOR

ADOR Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet Gt
    A few years back I decided to go with LED bulbs in my project 52 Ford F1 project. Everything worked fine with standard bulbs. (My turn and flasher is a signal stat model)

I put in the LED bulbs and every time I turned the left or right turn signal on both would flash like the Emergency flashers were turned on.

I bought more than one “LED rated” flasher but none of them worked. It either didn’t work at all or it made both sides flash like with the stock flasher.

I wound up using load resistors online at all 4 LED lights. If you go that route they get hot enough to melt wire coatings so have them away from everything. I melted the plastic spiral wire wrap that got too close while testing everything for a extend period of time 15 to 20 minutes worth.

3. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    Over heating resistors are telling you resistor wattage should be higher, or increase resistor value(two in series) so current is less. Yeah there is probably a fine line for optimum operation.

Something no one thinks about is using a aux bulb in parallel as ballast(load), I haven't tried but something like a 1003/1004 should be enough(Yeah I'm a anti-LEDer). Of course those bulbs get hot so some precaution is necessary.

While flasher may have continual power applied(should be 4 way only), without switch activated there is no current flow.

4. smegnl

Vehicle:
    1970 Grabber Clone
    Ahh, good point on the lack of current due to open circuit. But I was wondering if the +12V in and the digital LED having its own ground, if the ICs are running all the time. In fact I wonder if thats were my very tiny amp draw is coming from that I see.

5. smegnl

Vehicle:
    1970 Grabber Clone
    well I think it def is the flashers. They are supposed to work with LED and reg bulbs. I put it on a bench with a 12V power supply and nope dead as dead. I hooked up the old school flasher just to make sure my wireup worked, and it flashed away.
    upload_2021-9-30_19-56-5.png

6. smegnl

Vehicle:
    1970 Grabber Clone