Unisteer Rack and Pinion hose failure

Discussion in 'Technical' started by SR71 blackbird, Mar 29, 2021.

1. SR71 blackbird

SR71 blackbird Member

Vehicle:
    Ford Explorer
    I have seen this situation mentioned as part of other threads, but thought I would start a new thread to make the issue more searchable for others. I have a Unisteer rack and pinion conversion kit in my '73 Grabber. For the most part, it has worked well but the car does now have a slightly reduced turning circle. But, the feel is awesome and I've just autocrossed the car for the first time a week or so ago. However, a full steering lock, the power steering pump has ejected the high pressure hose from its fitting. This has happened to me twice. I repaired the hose the first time, then when it blew the second time, I removed the hose and removed it for closer inspection. I took it to an industrial supply house named oil filter supply co. in Portland, Or. (https://www.ofsco.net). They took one look at the braided hose that came with the Unisteer kit and said that type of hose will not hold up as a high pressure power steering hose. Nor will the fittings hold up to the extreme pressures at full lock. They pointed to a bunch of seepage all over the hose as proof that the hose was exceeding its purpose. Additionally, they showed me that the existing braided hose only has reinforcement on the exterior, where a real high pressure hose has reinforcement in the middle of the hose. So, they made me a new hose with steel fittings and sent me on my way. I don't know all the ins and outs of the engineering involved here, but hoping this will provide a fix. I will be installing this later today, but just wanted to share in case there are others out there who have experienced this situation and are looking for a fix.

Attached Files:

71gold likes this.
  2. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    You can also use one or two wire hydraulic hose which would be less money. The hose they sold you will be a solid piece for you, the 100R5 DOT hose can easily take the pressure and heat associated with power steering. My only issue with it is the outer braid is a magnet for oil and dirt.

SR71 blackbird likes this.
  3. SR71 blackbird

SR71 blackbird Member

Vehicle:
    Ford Explorer
    I hear ya on the oil and dirt, but I am in the mode of making it work well right now. The shiny, clean bits can come later. I just can't believe Unisteer would sell a steering kit with hoses that are insufficient for the job. Live and learn...

RMiller likes this.
  4. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    Not sure what hose they use but I would think if it was not adequate there would be a lot more unhappy people. They sell an awful lot of these kits and if the hose was too weak everyone that bought one would be blasting them for it. I would suspect there was a coupler issue with the end blowing off. Normally a hose that has too low a pressure rating will blow out, not pop an end. It's possible they had a batch of mispackaged fittings. There are a bunch of those fittings that all look similar but do not interchange. At the hose shop I managed we stocked four different part numbers for -6 hose and that was the tip of the iceberg.

SR71 blackbird likes this.