Update on the Mav.

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Jony, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Jony

Jony Banned

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Ford Maverick Grabber 5.0L 302 v8 NA
    So as few may know that a while back I was having some engine issues; I had power loss, rough start, and more that would take to long to explain. Recently I took my car to a shop near me called Mustangs of Chicago, and for those who live near by and need a place to go I recommend this place. Any how, after spending a couple of days on it I finally got back my Mav. that I left over the weekend! First thing first the car is barely overheating and it might be because if the me temporarely going without a shroud. The car also is better at cooling because the rad. cap that was on the car was bad enough that it literally could't handle the pressure. I also had my car properly tuned since I threw it off time the last time I changed the timing cover. It now has the same power as it did when I first got it and some. What really caught me by surprise was when one of the mechanics at the shop told me that my car was missing the kickdown cable. I've never noticed this but he said that it is a personal preference. Overall I am pleased with the work they've done. The car cools better than ever before but will need some work done since it still has that issue, it starts right as the key turns, more importantly it is driving smooth again. One thing I do want to know if anyone else is running their Mav. with a kickdown cable? Is there a difference? and What is a good kickdown cable/ where do I find it?

2. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    Many people are running without a kick down cable or rod, they came from the factory with a rod. If you want to install one Lokar makes a cable and bracket to hold it but it requires the carb to have provisions to hook it to and a little fine tuning to get it to operate properly. The purpose of the kick down is to shift the car down when accelerator is pushed to a certain point mainly used for passing or spirited driving. It controls pressure with in the transmission.

Glad things are better for you now. Its amazing when somebody that knows what they are doing and has the proper tools gets their hands on a vehicle.

Hotrock likes this.
  3. madman21

madman21 Beer is good

Vehicle:
    1976 2dr Mav 410ci
    Nice! Glad it was a simple fix.

Get a kick down rod/cable. You will love it.

4. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    ran mine without one for a long time...just pull it into 2nd gear to pass, that's what the kick down rod does...:drive:...:chirp: