Upgrades on the CHEAP for a 302

Discussion in 'Technical' started by JoeBob1901, Jun 19, 2005.

1. JoeBob1901

JoeBob1901 Member

Vehicle:
    1974 4dr with 302-- 95 Bronco on 1ton axles-40" tires, geared and lockers--86BII 2" lift, 31's
    I'm talking very inexpensive mods, to dirt cheap, as in, gapping spark plugs a lil more and turning the timing up a few *, etc.

What do you guys recomend? I couldnt find anything searching...

Any upgrades for the intake setup? I heard before on possibly a 350 you could flip the top plate that goes on the carb, upside down, to get more air flow? Anything like this for the Mav's 302?

What about coils? any cheap upgrades that yield good results? anything to "stay away from"?

I'm not looking to dump a bunch of money into the Mav at this point in time, nor am i looking to make a hotrod, but if i can do a few cheap upgrades, get better gas mileage, and get more power..i'd sure like it (y)

2. 74merc

74merc computer nerd

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet
    bump the timing a bit, keep the spark plug gap around .35... without spending money, it gets pretty slim.

Headers and dual exhaust is the number 1 bang for the buck on power and milage... $150 for Hooker 1 /58 longtubes, duals depends on local prices. I paid $210-220 for mine.

3. stmanser

stmanser Looking for a Maverick

rebuild carb.... new cap and rotor.....high voltage wires....

under 200. (each)...new intake... new carb (rebuilt).....new cam and lifters kit

4. PINKY

PINKY .....John Ford.....

Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick
    index the plugs.

add a little timing.
    do some research, buy a drimmel and do some porting on your intake.

5. stmanser

i just ported my heads....cant wait to fire up the engine some time this week

6. 74merc

74merc computer nerd

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet
    small block Ford intakes are not the weak link, the exhaust is bad. 90% of your hotrodders out there port exhaust only. Google can back me up on that.

7. JoeBob1901

JoeBob1901 Member

Vehicle:
    1974 4dr with 302-- 95 Bronco on 1ton axles-40" tires, geared and lockers--86BII 2" lift, 31's
    Don't have a dremel yet but plan on getting a dremel and/or a die grinder...but i think the dremel with lil extenstion would be better for stuff like this

Where would i research something like this...? I havent ever run across that, sry if it's a stupid question

I was hoping bumping up timing a bit would help, i'm used to upgrades for a 302 with mass air n EFI, so..quite a different beast, even the timing is quite a bit different between the 2

I may read into the dremeling, dont know about the exhaust quite yet, normally it's one of the most restrictive things on most engines..but even different engine years change alot of things, the "weakest link"

what about filters? is the stock filter flow fine? i just picked up a purolator one today as the stock one was kinda dirty. K&N's flow better? or no noticable difference? Any other offbrand "Performance" filter that's worth anything?

I plan on holding off on the exhaust at least for right now, the exhaust is nice and quiet, and no leaks whatsoever..so it'd be hard to swap something out for 400$ when it still works great...

I know about truck shorties/longtubes, i have a set of summit shortie's in my shop right now actually...

Shorties bolt right up to the stock exhaust, do these change with different year 302s or even truck/car? Clearence, etc. My main issue with longtubes is you MUST get a new exhaust then, completely, and then clearence issues

Also, if i happen to go aftermarket carburator (i suck at spelling), what CFM should i get? just get a rebuilt stock holly, or something like a 600 CFM, etc, and..how will i knwo for sure if they will fit, i dont know carbs whatsoever, isn't it the bolt pattern on the top? Just a "2 bolt" ?

What type of Cam do you guys recomend? crane, etc, etc. What type of duration for a mild street machine, mild upgrades..nothing hardcore, and no roller rockers. Is throwing in an aftermarket cam a straight forward job, throw it in, and no other modifications/upgrades? I know the 72+ 302 cams are more mild, and 72- had 20more hp than 72+, so putting in a more aggressive cam than a 72, should yield some decent power gains, and if a cam doesnt cost you more than 150$ outisde, 150 for 30hp is pretty good IMO.

thanks for the help guys (y)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2005
  8. Comet-73

Comet-73 Member

Vehicle:
    73 comet gt, 76 comet 4 door, 71 Maverick 200/I6
    K&N do make a noticeable differnce BARELY but they do but they allow dirt into your engine as well.(dont waste your time or money with frams knock off)

Edlebrock makes good intake but #^$* carbs make a hybrid with a holly 600 or 650 would be good

For a cam i would use a mild one like a Comp Cam high energy that was my first cam it worked nice gave it that sweet idle and increased my torque noticable, but if you start into the agressive cam look out they have been giving me problems the last cam i put in was to much my for my motor duration was to much and i had no cranking compression. id say for a stock motor keep the valve lift under 500 and duration small. But as stated if you increase the amout of fuel and air into the motor you need some where for it to go shorty headers wont work cuz of the shock towers unless you mod them. best just to use the ones made for the car.

one of the BEST things to wake these cars up is dual exhuast right now dynomax has a special on my muffler were only like $40 a peice (after mail in rebate) there fully welded to and they are praticaly straight through i think they are called ultra flows they sound awsome.

9. JoeBob1901

JoeBob1901 Member

Vehicle:
    Cams, seems like a cam, and then an exhaust would be a good way to go about it..then upgrade carb, but..looks like that's in the 600$ range by the time everything is said n done...easily

Would i see more power increase from an exhaust, or a cam? is the exhaust THAT bad, or just more restrictive than the intake.

Cams: Summit part # FMS-M-625-A312..specs look ok? looks like a decent price too...

part# CRN-363901, this cam looks decent too, but it's a crane not FMS

thanks for the help guys (y)

10. PINKY

PINKY .....John Ford.....

Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick
    definitely a set of headers and some good free flowing exhaust would really wake the car up. But it can get a little pricie.
    I define it like this.....Put a straw in your mouth, go for a little jog, while jogging, breathe in through your nose and then exhale through the straw. :49:
    My car is failing due to poor exhaust, but I just cannot justify the $$$ for custom headers.

11. maverikrick

maverikrick Member

Vehicle:
    '74 2dr LDO V8 project
    lmao

Now that's a good definition!!!
    Also I like how fast it went from gapping spark plugs to $600. But that's just the way it works eh? I started out with a "how cheap can I do it" plan also. It's right out the window now. But I did know up front it was going to be hard for me not to throw some money at the motor. And I caved. Now considering a hydraulic roller cam. Just considering!!! lol The one thing I'd do for cheap is change the whole exhaust, not THAT expensive, and then it will work with future upgrades, they're coming, you know they are. And self porting the heads should be included. Realize you said you didn't want to change the exhaust but it's the straw.
    And now I found a rust free '70 that's in really nice shape except the destroyed left front fender and bumper, which I already have a spare fender. Am I hoping they ask too much for it or that they give me a good price? I don't know. Do I really want to swap all the '74 running gear over? No, but I probaby will. Oh well.

12. 74merc

74merc computer nerd

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet
    As I said above, first thing I would spend money on would be exhaust. Everything else you do, carb, intake, cam, etc, will be limited by the factory exhaust.

As for shorties, I'll give you a solid maybe. The shock towers will probably be in the way.

There are people drag racing using stock intake due to their class, unported heads, but the exhaust is never stock. What does that tell you about the limitations of the small block Ford?

13. JoeBob1901

JoeBob1901 Member

Vehicle:
    Probably that they're pricier to build than a 350 :p:rofl:

Looks like the general consensus is to not bother with anything until an exhaust goes on, good to know

What brand of headers do you guys recomend? Don't need em ceramic coated or anything, but, want performance..but without "performance" price tags...

14. stmanser

the summit chepo's did not fit...............so i had to buy hooker headers...... i pad 155 for mine...and i would recommend the header wrap...that will keep temps down...i did not do it...and i wish i had,..

ceramic coating...not sure...but i have heard it flakes off over time....

15. Comet155

Comet155 Member

My ceramic hookers have been on since about 92. Little rusty, slight warp (my fault) and dingy now, but no flaking.