Versailles disc brake rear end

Discussion in 'Technical' started by pegleg1858, Apr 29, 2013.

1. pegleg1858

pegleg1858 Member

Vehicle:
    69 1/2 maverick
    Whats the pros and cons? Came across one the other day cheap and have heard the drum brake performed better. I picked it up just the same.

2. Crazy Larry

Crazy Larry Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, 302, manual trans
    Pros: It's a 9-inch, so it's strong. It's just about the perfect width for a Maverick.

Cons: 1) There are no limited-slip versions, the gear ratios are all very steep (like 2.48, 2.58, etc,

2)The rear disc brakes suck. They are hard to find parts for. A custom parking brake cable needs to be made to fit the parking brake lever. The calipers are fixed (not floating) and are prone to cracking. Aftermarket discs are much better.

3. qpdcqp

qpdcqp Davon

Vehicle:
    70 Grabber Maverick, 75 2dr maverick
    On mine im doing a aftermarket disk break set up for better stopping power.

4. Streamliner

Streamliner Member

They're also very heavy and yeah, rear brakes are a pain...I've done a few of these over the years and always had a problem with a low brake pedal on the first stab because of the rear parking brake....If that thing isn't adjusted perfectly the pads are retracted too far from the rotor when you put on the brakes

5. John Holden

John Holden Member

I've got a pair of Strange 31 spline axles made for a versailles rear if you're interested. And yes the versailles rears are the perfect length for a maverick. I never heard of the calipers cracking, mine never did. I also never had the problem with the first stab of the brakes being weak so I guess mine were adjusted right. Yes they're heavy rears.

6. baddad457

baddad457 Member

You got that first sentence in the "Cons" wrong. The first (out of about a half dozen) Versailles rear I bought (actually came from under a Monarch) had trac-loc. Can't figure where the "hard to find parts" thing got started, I've never had that problem.

7. John B

John B Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Mav
    I used a Currie Enterprises kit to convert mine to 2003 Mustang Cobra discs, and did the same up front using a Mustang Steve kit. I also had a Trac-Loc setup installed. Car is still on blocks, so can't give you a road test report at this time.

8. mav1970

mav1970 Bob Hatcher

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick 393 Cleveland Stroker
    I bought my 9 inch about 20 years ago and it came out from under a Granada Ghia. At that time, only 1 rotor was available (they are vent directional) and no calipers could be found. Now it seems that, at least, the aftermarket rotors have been showing up. I'm adding aftermarket bolt on brackets from Speedway Motors and using Granada front 11 inch discs and GM Metric calipers :)

9. RASelkirk

RASelkirk Retired!

Vehicle:
    Sonic Blue '72 w/LS-1, 200R4, 9" w/3.50
    Bob,

So you finally found out the correct rotor? What year, or does it matter? How is the front rotor converted to a hubless design?

10. mav1970

mav1970 Bob Hatcher

Vehicle:
    Oops, ya got me Russ. My mind is too on my front suspension right now so I ID'ed it as Granada when they are actually 11 inch rotors from the front of a Jeep Cherrokee which just slip over the wheel studs :cry:

11. RASelkirk

RASelkirk Retired!

Vehicle:
    OK, so (insert year) Jeep front rotors slip over a dedicated hub and thus can be used on the rear and you have verified the fit?

12. mav1970

mav1970 Bob Hatcher

Vehicle:
    I'm at work right now so the year Cherokee can not be verified. These Jeep rotors were originally called out as the rotors to be used with a set of weld on brackets that I bought from Ebay. I ran out of area to weld them to the tubes due to coil over, 4 link and Watts brackets so I went with the bolt on brackets instead. The rotor called out by Speedway to fit their brackets is real close to the Cherokee rotors that I already have so I'm going to use them. I'm heading in that direction real soon to install these as I really need to get this car rolling on tires so I can move it out of the garage.

13. RASelkirk

RASelkirk Retired!

Vehicle:
    I'm far enough away that I can afford wait on your outcome and will appreciate any updates as you make progress...

14. tody

tody Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 comet gt, 67 club wagon, 65 mustang
    the rear brake hoses (except for the center hose) are not available from the big manufacturers any more. there is a guy on ebay who is making them, though. it's somewhere buried in my restoration thread...

15. Blue Brick

Blue Brick Member

Motor Trend March 1977

The rear drum option stopped 24 feet shorter than the rear disc option. 140 feet with rear drum vs. 164 feet with rear disc.