well..whats it worth..

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Matterick, May 30, 2014.

1. OLD GOOSE

OLD GOOSE Member

Vehicle:
    1972 ford maverick
    4 to 5 grand that is way out there especially a six banger I'd say three grand tops and they are a non collector car I agree with Crazy Larry his price is the only sane answer

2. 7D2 Grabber

7D2 Grabber Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT, 1967 F100 short bed, 2008 Z06
    Crazy Larry seems not so crazy with his appraisal. I'm thinking 3-4000

3. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    It's worth what ever someone will pay for it.

I'd start it at $4,500. Looks like a really clean, original car. They're only original once.

4. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Not really personal, but you seem to piss on everything, these cars are rising in price, regardless what you might think. I just figured it must suck thinking your car is worthless, I wonder why you even keep it. :huh:

5. Crazy Larry

Crazy Larry Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, 302, manual trans
    We all love Mavericks, that's why we're here, but some people are just delusional in how much they think these cars are worth.

I like my Maverick, otherwise I wouldn't have it. I just believe in being realistic.

And to say that I "seem to piss on everything" really seems strange. I don't know how you get that impression. Is it because I don't believe in wasting time on inline six cylinders? Is it because I hate drum-brakes on the front? Is it because I think Ford screwed up in making a 4-door version? Is it because I wouldn't pay $1000 for a Grabber hood? Is it because I recognize that these cars were beautiful until the U.S. government mandated 5mph bumpers, at which time Ford took the easiest and cheapest route by incorporating those hideous, park-bench sized bumpers and eliminating the front & rear valences? Is it because I dare to have an opinion that others may not like?

Bottom line: These cars are not GTOs, Barracudas, Challengers, 4-4-2s, SS Chevelles, SS Camaros or Z/28s, Shelby Mustangs or Mustang GTs, Buick Gran Sports/GSXs, Javelins & AMXs, Roadrunners & Super Bees, Torino GTs, etc. They're not even performance cars (although they certainly can be made to perform). They are low-budget cars with an attractive body-style and nothing more. In stock form, they're simply not worth thousands & thousands of dollars...no matter how much you may love them. V-8 cars are worth more than 6s. Grabbers are worth more than non-Grabbers. 4-doors are worth less than 2-doors. But none of them are worth a fortune.

The original post here was asking "what it's worth", so my comments were not unsolicited. That's not "pissing on" anything. It's just telling it like it is.

6. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    I based my opinion on what I have seen similar cars sell for, as they age their value is going up, would I pay that much for a six banger no way. I did have to search for 4 years to find the car I currently have and paid $5,600 for it which yes I thought was a bit high but it was in great condition with no rust or repair work needed and to me that was worth a great deal to be able to just get in it and drive it.

I believe that people are starting to get away from the main stream cars because everybody and their brother has one and has done everything that can be done to them I have been to many car shows and watched people walk right past nice high dollar cars to look at my or other peoples Maverick or Comets and you cant put a price on that.

7. Matterick

Matterick Matt Somerville

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick 302, 1971 Maverick
    As far as value of the car, i never saw any as keeping it original, but rather the body saving someone all the $ in rust repair. Seems like most everybodys opinions are in the same price range

8. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    ....and it all depends on where the CAR is located and where the BUYER is located. Here is the rust belt....that car would fetch more than say, down south or out west.

9. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Agreed that geography plays a lot into pricing. Where these cars rusted away fast due to road salt etc, the demand is going to be higher. In other areas of the country, you can still find these if you look hard enough.

10. Crazy Larry

Crazy Larry Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, 302, manual trans
    Yeah, I notice at car shows that people seem to just walk right past a Camaro or Mustang with little or no interest. I like them, but if you've seen one, you've seen 'em all.

11. COMETIZED

COMETIZED Member

Vehicle:
    70 Mav. 74 Comet
    Opinions expressed...

Crazy Larry ... You Rock !!! Well said and I too share a lot of the opinions expressed..

Cometized