what Is the factory stud length of a maverick?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tires' started by wmcover, Nov 24, 2013.

1. wmcover

wmcover Member

Vehicle:
    1970 maverick, 200six
    I need to know what the factory stud length is on a maverick or comet five lug both front and back. Have to run wheel spacers to fit mustang wheels but want to keep it to a minimum... 2" spacers put the tire just under the fender lip, I want the tire under the car but not rubbing. Hope someone has the answer, looking at a set of 1.5" spacers but would rather go 1".

2. cactusgrabber

cactusgrabber Member

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber
    Are you sure it's safe to put those spacers on?

The stud length of my 73' rear end is 1", with threads starting right at the flat end of the studs.

The stud length on my 76' Front Disc Brake spindles are around 1 1/4", but the threads don't go all the way to the tapered end....threads on only 1" of the total length, starting about 1/4' in from the taper.

3. wmcover

wmcover Member

Vehicle:
    1970 maverick, 200six
    Well it is about the only way I know how to put late model mustang wheels on these cars, I don't like the idea but it is no different than trusting the bolds that hold the rotors on when you stop except for the constant weight. I figure if they are hubcentric at wheel and hub and installed/torqued properly should be fine. I've got a buddy that has 3" spacers on his daily driver jeep wrangler and beats the heck out of it every weekend and they haven't broke yet. (Doesn't make it right though). I might rethink it and go with new wheels with correct backspace. Thanks for the info though! I am not where my car is so it is sometimes hard to shop for it while away. Lol.

4. Rasit

Rasit Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet GT
    I recently removed the 17" Mustang Bullitt wheels that were on my Comet (pic in avatar) and went back to more of a stock looking 15" wheel and ride height. One of the previous owners installed two 7/16" spacers behind each wheel for a total spacing of 7/8"with three inch studs. Car was lowered and only had very minor clearance issue up front when turning the wheels all the way to full stop. It looked cool but handled like crap due to the fact that you have to do more than just cut two or three full coils off a set of 650lb rated springs if you want to actually drive the car.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013