Where can i find a NEW carb for me 200 Six?

Discussion in 'Parts Interchange' started by MaverickRyan, Jan 6, 2017.

1. MaverickRyan

MaverickRyan Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Ive looked everywhere, and i mean like hours looking. I cant seam to find one for a fair price.... I need a 1bbl and currently have the original carb on my 70 mav. The original carb is a Autolite D0DF-L (Long story short, it no longer works)

When i say NEW i meant a remanufactured brand new carb. OR would a NOS be better??

any help is much appreciated, id like to get my mav going again!

2. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    Carb kits are cheap at around $15-$20 and these simple carbs are very easy to rebuild yourself with some basic skills and tools. If you don't want to go that route, I just looked on ebay and there are several YF-1 with the correct 1970 linkage mount for under $175. I'm not sure what you consider a "fair price" - but that isn't out of line pricing for factory rebuilt or NOS YF-1's.

Question - is your 1970 200 an automatic or manual transmission - and do you have the tag number on your carb? I will look up the correct details for your carb and check if the one you have now is the right carb if you could give me that info. I have found many times that over the decades, the correct carb was replaced by a previous owner with the wrong carb and that was the cause of poor performance. These little YF-1 carbs have few issues but there are many different variations out there. Even looking at the ebay ads, many sellers have the wrong car listed for the carb they are selling. You have to know what you are buying - just don't trust the seller description.

On the high end - there is a company that will concourse restore your old carb - including a run in on an engine in their shop - for around $300.

3. MaverickRyan

MaverickRyan Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Their is a pic of the carb tag (is that the number your referring to?) as well as the carb. Its an C4 Automatic Transmission. Ive recently rebuilt it with all correct specs, and it still dosent work as intented (its leaking fuel from the throttle body shaft. its worn and would need modifying)

And 175 is a decent deal. But i would assume american, which im from canada so thatd be around 230 + shipping which isint too bad

Again thanks for the help, im not the most mechanically inclined so this really helps!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  4. mvw66gt

mvw66gt Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Comet GT
    A lot of the rebuild kits come with nylon type strips of bushing to put around the throttle shafts. That might be a route to go. Maybe it's flooding? Did you check the float level on e rebuild? I did see that Rockauto shows the carb for about $175 USD. - Matt

5. MaverickRyan

MaverickRyan Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    hmm the kit i got didnt have any strips but i will look into that. its not flooding, its leaking out the shaft when it goes in gear. and the float level is set fine, the kit i got came with everything i needed to make sure it was adjusted properly.
    thanks so far :D

6. Powerband

Powerband Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    ---- 1976 Comet --- 1974 Maverick- - '61 Comet T'Bolt Six ---- 'quite a few projects ...
    The Carter YF is one of the better 1Bbl's used on the Ford sixes. If fuel is 'leaking' it probably needs more help with float or shafts are worn so bad the carb is better replaced.

Upgrading to a 2X1 carb adapter and progressive 2Bbl Weber 32/36 or Holley/Weber 5200 is another popular option for the Ford small block six.

NOS, New-Old-Stock carbs often have dried out parts and/or parts unsuitable for modern solvent-alcohol formula fuel and will need freshening.

E-Bay is probably best source for a used carb. The major vendors all advertise new-replacement and rebuilt there as well.

have fun

[​IMG]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARTER-YF-1...ash=item237abad7a2:g:B30AAOSw44BYbSOq&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1bbl-CARBUR...ash=item48970c470a:g:fXwAAOSw5cNYaar4&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carter-YF-1...ash=item282147c644:g:Uy0AAOSwzaJX68Uk&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-OEM-For...ash=item5d6b069eae:g:KwsAAOSwA3dYIPQE&vxp=mtr

ets...

mojo likes this.
  7. MaverickRyan

MaverickRyan Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    ill look into all those adds as well as the other options such as 2Bbl Weber 32/36 or Holley/Weber 5200
    thanks for the help so far! :)

8. Acornridgeman

Vehicle:
    Your tag decodes as January 7th, 1970 - 47 years ago today !!!!! :birthday:

Also the D0DF-L is for a 1970 200 with C4 and no A/C - so it sure sounds like the carb that your car was born with.

Like I said before - beware on ebay, as many sellers will post a carb is for a 1970 200 but they are not. Make sure to get the bigger throttle bore @ 1.68 - the 170 used the smaller 1.44 and I see that one all the time listed for the 200.

Also - the 1970 Maverick had a pretty unique throttle linkage. Make sure the carb advertised has the same style throttle plate set up. Take a look at the pic - is yours the same, where the throttle linkage connecting pin is horizontal right of the throttle shaft? If it is, make sure the carb you buy has the same pin location. Some rebuilds added an extra pin to work with the Maverick linkage.

Here are a couple pics of the early maverick style linkage - pin to the right and slightly lower than the throttle shaft - does yours match this?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  9. MaverickRyan

MaverickRyan Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Ill make sure to be cautious of Ebay Carbs. i didnt know that their was a bigger throttle bore and a different throttle linkage! thats really good to know, thanks for that info! The linkage looks similar but not exact. below is a picture of mine (ignore that dirt its been sitting all winter)

again thanks for the help so far! much appreciated!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Krazy Comet

Krazy Comet Tom

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT clone 306 . 1969 Fairlane Cobra 428CJ 1988 T-Bird awaiting 331 ..
    I've seen fairly new carbs weep far worse than that and run fine... I suspect you have unfound issues...

11. ptpdub

ptpdub Member

Vehicle:
    where in Manitoba are you? I know a parts place in portage la prairie that can get it for you

12. Acornridgeman

Vehicle:
    Your pics show the same linkage as in my pics - the throttle is just rotated a bit open in my examples.

If it were mine - I would spend some more time working with that original carb. There has to be more you can do with it. I see the choke heat tube is off. The choke works both the cold idle and to restrict air on this year carb. There is no fast idle cam, just the choke linkage.

But anyway - Good luck in your search!

13. MaverickRyan

MaverickRyan Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Im in winnipeg, but id drive if its worth it for the part

14. MaverickRyan

MaverickRyan Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    and origionally i was possibly looking into trying to machine a peice to fit inbetween the shaft . like a wedge that wouldnt restrict the carb. But i dont have a whole lot of tools to machine things. nor experience!

15. Hotrock

Hotrock Rick, an MCCI Member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Mercury Comet, 1997 Mustang Cobra, 2019 Ford Edge ST
    Maverick Ryan, your choke heat tube nut looks like it is cross threaded. Probably not causing any problems. I just happened to notice.