windsor sr heads?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by igo1090, May 13, 2007.

1. igo1090

igo1090 Member

Vehicle:
    75 maverick, 93 tbird tube car
    how are these heads, especially compared to the chinese knockoffs on ebay? i can get them bare for about the same, maybe $50 more. i have the other stuff like plates, studs & valves lying around. also headers. engine nothing wild right now, but will be upgrading a little in the near future. short block is getting tired & i worry about the stock bottom end with 60k on it. just runs high 13s now. will probably do a moderate 331.

i know sr heads are good ported. my tbird heads flow 305/225, but have lots of work. just want to clean up the ex ports & bolt em on for now. am also adding 1.7 rockers since current ones are old cranes from 1970 era & might start to come apart these days.

have .512 lift, 218/224 dur cam, torker 289 intake, headers, gears & stall conv. lift should be about .544 with new rockers if my math is right. currently have c9 351w heads with 1.90/1.54 & some porting. looking for better flow up to .600 lift

2. ShadowMaster

ShadowMaster The Bad Guy

Vehicle:
    1969 1/2 Maverick
    Clean up the exhausts, clean up the bowls, mill them down to 58cc's and go have fun. The Sr. heads are 64cc and don't work well with mild compression on small engines. I have found they work great at 58cc's even when unported.

3. mavman

mavman Member

Vehicle:
    '75 Maverick, '03 super duty, '04 Mustang Vee-six!
    You're right...they kick butt when ported. But out of the box, nothing special. Guy I know swapped to a set of unported W Sr's from a set of ported C9 351 heads and the only change was that he picked up 1 mph. No ET improvement and the 1 mph may have been a number of other things like better conditions.

The Chinese knockoffs ain't any better. Same guy I know...had the W Sr's ported and picked up a BUNCH of ET and MPH. CLose to .3, IIRC and 5-7 mph. Then he tried a set of procomp heads...had 2.05 valves put in because the fact that the 2.02's did not seal. The machinest that looked at the heads (brand new off ebay) said that the seats were nicked and some were not installed right, so the best option was to just install the 2.05's and be done with it. Then when we bolted them on to the 408w, we noticed that the rocker studs were not all in line. With 1.7 rockers the pushrods hit some of the pushrod holes. Not all of them though.

After he had the valves put in, milled to make them flat again, grind the pushrod holes a little, clean up the nasty casting in the bowls, he had as much in them as a set of new Victor Jr's cost. He had about $1300 in them total (they were $900 new). Finally after he got the thing up and running there was a very slight ET improvement (about a tenth give or take but the 60' was a little better) and 2 MPH slower which tells me that they weren't making any more HP than the Sr's were.

Just my limited experiences, FWIW.

4. CornedBeef4.6L

CornedBeef4.6L no longer here

Vehicle:
    no longer here
    I love my head roush 200 heads(updated windsor Srheads) NOn ported as out of box. only mod was milling to 61cc to get a 10.4 to 1 comp ratio with KB pop up .200 dome pistons. It has more in it. I will run high 11's with this motor. I can't be stopped:yahoo: Cam Change Ram Air and

12.58@108mph with a small E303 cam currently

5. grbmaverickmo

grbmaverickmo That Maverick Guy

Vehicle:
    70 grabber.71 4dr v-8 stick.72 Sprint
    I have them on my 377. They seem to work good never had anything else but ported stock before. Car runs 11.30 at 119 on motor and 10.03 at 133 on 175 shot at 3,000lbs

6. igo1090

igo1090 Member

Vehicle:
    thanx for the comments, guys. they are a help.

7. ShadowMaster

ShadowMaster The Bad Guy

Vehicle:
    1969 1/2 Maverick
    Like I said, Dave....bowl work and exhaust runners then mill them to 58cc chambers. Don't even have to touch the intake runners. Majority of the improvements with these heads in ported form comes from the bowl work.

8. Maverick Man

Maverick Man The Original Maverick Man

Vehicle:
    Two 1973 LDO Mavericks (one 4 Drag one 4 driving like Mad on the roads :) ) also have a 75 6cyl Stock! Ok, well sort of Stock :P
    remember to get the right headers for them.. .otherwise you'll have some great time changing plugs 7 & 8 ;)

9. igo1090

igo1090 Member

Vehicle:
    already have headers i made for my 67 stang when i had the wp heads in it. hopefully they will fit a mav witrh minor massaging. they use the wide pattern.