YAY...got the floorboards today

Discussion in 'Parts Interchange' started by stmanser, Apr 29, 2005.

1. stmanser

stmanser Looking for a Maverick

i ordered the 71 mustang floor boards (complete LH and RH sides) from mustangs unlimited. they sort of fit in there, but i will have to cut the inside edges down a bit to drop it all the way down..i will be taking pictures, as long as i get my friend to let me borrow his welder this weekend.

i will be trying to throw together a process on floor board rust removal and new boards installation. we shall see how it goes. i hope it goes ok..

the metal boards i got today are nice and stiff, i would imagine that they are a lot stronger than the original maverick floor boards... they are real solid

i paid 59.95 each side for a grand total of $135 shipped to tucson

regular boards were 69.95 (economy was 59.95)

more to come

2. stmanser

well i got the pass side floor in... i had to cut off the hump side of the floow board...since the mustang is slightly wider than the maverick.... once i got it to almost fit...i took a ball peen hammer and "helped" it to fit on the sides...there is an overlap of the new and old floor board so i think the beat marks will be concealed...but i am not too worried about it. i just need the strength...

the floor boards are beautiful ...they are extremely sturdy and look nice. i placed the new (used) seat in the pass side and it fit good...i may have to mod the front feet of the seats to fit flat. but other than that everything looks great so far...

i am only doing one side at a time to ensure that the middle of the car does not move with the floors removed....all i have left is the tunnel, the rocker panels and the seat mount middle section of the drivers side...

i will get pics when they get developed... and once i get a welder...my boss skipped out on me and i didnt get a welder for this weekend...

3. stmanser

saturday i managed to weld in the passenger side floor board.....the welds are not pretty but it is real sturdy...sunday i will get the drivers side cut and welded in...

i will also need to finish welding the front sub frame in place

4. stockhatch

stockhatch Re Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Grabber
    Need pics pics and more pics :) Did I mention pics? :D BTW, great job pioneering the retrofit. Now others will know what options they have regarding replacement parts that will fit.

5. stmanser

well i made a nice long post last night to let you all know the progress and the page didnt load it and gave me an error... so here i am , early the nxt morning to try it once more....

1. Mustang floorboards are installed and look good. the welds have a lot to be desired...but i am a noob at welding and i did my best..\

2. seats are in. i put a 1" square tubing across the floor for the front of the seats to mount to and then i ran a bolt all the way through the floor seat and tubing... the bolts i bought are too short...but the rear is secured and the seats look great...

3. pics to come....i still need to take some finished pics and get the cameras developed...

my $.02 about the floor boards

i bought 71 mustang economy floor boards from mustangs unlimited. they are 54.95 for the entire lenght, each side. $135.00 with shipping. they are of outstanding quality and very sturdy. i had to trim the entire length of each floor to fit in the maverick, since the mustang is a tad wider. everything went in good and all i had to do was use a ball peen hammer to pound the floors to form to the maverick tunnel.

as i was working the floor in place, i would spot weld an area...then tap it to form with ball peen hammer and continue until the entire floor was in place.... then i went back and tried to get some good welds to hold in place..

i ran into a few problems.
    1. the welds look real bad and i got some good penetration ( in some places and in some places i got no penetration) so it needs to be finished...i ran out of time on the welder and had to return it so i will see what i can do to get the floor welded a little better.
    2. the sub frame are not set just right on the floor. i tried to use a jack to push the sub frame up but it ended up jacking the car up, so i had a friend stand on a hammer n top of the area where i was tacking the floor to the sub frame. it works but need more penetration.

3. i got pretty sunburned from the sun and the welding process.. i used some arm sleevies that protect from heat and i TOTALLY recommend useing them. i didnt get any burns.. they worked good.

all in all, the weekend was a success... i learned that i dont like welding a lot. but i learned that it is easy to weld heavier metals like the tubing and brackets, that it is to weld the floor (it was difficult)

more to come when i get pics....

thanks

6. stmanser

Here are some pics

here are the pics i have been promising,....these arent all of them... but the best looking ones...

the area that the bench seat mounts to ended up getting cut out completely so that i didnt have to cut and splice the floors in....i felt it made for stronger floors...

i will get the other camera developed....ti has pics of me welding ...my son took them

Last edited: May 11, 2005