Carpet installation

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by scooper77515, Jun 6, 2007.

1. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    OK, here is where I am...Have a decent coat of bedliner on the floor all the way back to the trunk (will put it there as well before I am finished).

The carpet has been sitting in the hot garage for a couple weeks and still has some folds, so I might take it out to the driveway in direct 92 degree sunlight the day i am dropping it in.

My question is do you use an adhesive to mount it to the floor?

I bought a can of 3M spray contact-cement and figured I would start at the trans hump and spray a strip at a time until I get to the edges, then trim.

Stop me if I am doing this wrong...

2. Rando76

Rando76 Member

Vehicle:
    Collection of Mavericks and Comets
    You don't need to glue this carpet down - just drop it in. Do you already have the insulation in? Did you use the reflective "water heater blanket" that Matt suggested in the other carpet thread?
    I'm about to do the same thing this weekend. I think I'll get my carpet out of the box tonight so it can start settling.

3. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I looked for the reflective water heater blanket and all I could find was fiberglass insulation, maybe 2" thick that would squish to maybe 1/4". Then got to the Classic Restoration crowd and the Tuner/Big stereo crowd and they all said to just use bed liner and drop the carpet in.

I have access to jute, and jute with aluminum on both sides (pricey!) but was thinking I could get away with just a thick bedliner and the jute that is already on the carpet...

My carpet has been settling in the car for the past 2 weeks, and it has been a nice muggy 90 degrees most of that time, yet it still has some creases, so I might lay it upside down in the driveway this weekend, in the sun, and let it really get relaxed before I put it in.

I figured I would glue it in 6-8" strips starting at the trans hump working my way toward the doors, then trim when I get to the ends. Unless someone suggests something better.

4. fan2488

fan2488 Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 maverick, 1972 grabber
    i would not glue it. just drop it in, then you will be able to adjust if needed.

5. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Don't glue it ... the factory didn't. Remember you're used to seeing 30 year old carpet that has been mashed down and fits every nook and cranny of the floor. It will take a couple of years before the replacement carpet looks as perfect as the one you take out ....

6. dkstuck

dkstuck Member

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick in drag
    I wouldn't glue it, with the bedliner I dont think you would get a very good glue surface to hold. A steam iron ( who owns irons anymore,yea I'm single) run over your carpet should get rid of creases. Dry cleaners may let you use their steamer.

I like what you've done here! Bedliner a good idea, adding insulation will keep the heat out. Gave me good ideas for Aunties 69.5 redo with the smaller hump.

7. Rando76

Rando76 Member

Vehicle:
    Are you sure that the bedliner material will block sound and heat like the water heater blanket (or some other insulation) will? I think it's a good idea to seal the floor, but I'm not sure it will provide the heat block you want - especially if you're using headers. I think I'll go look for the water heater blanket at lunch today. I'll let you know if I find anything.
    I layed out my carpet last night and it didn't seem to have too many creases, but I'll still need to lay it out in the sun this weekend.

8. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Yeah, let me know if you find anything, especially in nationwide stores like Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

9. Rando76

Rando76 Member

Vehicle:
    Well, I didn't get to go today - but I plan on going before the weekend. I'll probably try tomorrow at lunch.

10. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I may try today, and if I don't find anything, I can get jute for $8 a yard, needing maybe 4-5 yards. This is the same thickness that I have on the bottom of the carpet now.

I don't know...I shouldn't need two layers of jute, should I:huh: I am thinking that the bedliner (put on pretty thick) and the jute that is already under all but the trans tunnel should be enough...:hmmm:

Do I need more than this?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  11. Rando76

Rando76 Member

Vehicle:
    I think the more the better. It doesn't add much weight, and if you're car is like mine - it's gets HOT in there. :rolleyes:

12. tom butas

tom butas Member

Vehicle:
    Sold my 1974 Comet - Looking super nice 73 Maverick near Memphis
    Put my carpet in this past Wed. morning, I had left it there for several days to get heated down. I used over the bedliner spray also. Think it looks good, I can see it taking all summer heat and mold down to all the seems and area's. Here are a few pictures along the way before finishing, I hope this weekend.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  13. maverick75

maverick75 Gotta Love Mavs!

Vehicle:
    The mav is gone but i'm still here!
    Nice interior Tom:thumbs2:

14. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer, who is now in the galaxies)
    I envy you guys at this stage...(y)

15. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    That looks really good.

I guess I will try it with a second layer of jute (it is cheap enough that if it doesn't lay right, i can toss it out and not lose a crapload of money).

I think I will glue the jute down to the floor, at least a little so I can maneuver the carpet and the jute will stay steady.