Integral Brazillian Tach - Concept Drawing

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by cactusgrabber, Oct 2, 2011.

1. cactusgrabber

cactusgrabber Member

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber
    I saw this old drawing of an Integral Tach concept for a Maverick/Comet, that some other member drew in an old post....

...and I thought I would edit it, and draw a variation on it, just for the fun of it.

I always wondered what it would look like, if The Maverick/Comet Instrument Cluster, had an Integral Tachometer built in.

So I drew in the Brazillian Tachometer, in both Standard and White Face, and even added modern Ford style Analog Gauges on the Temperature, Oil, and Voltage gauges. I moved the "Alt" light to the empty spot at the bottom, and left the "Brake" warning light:

(This was done in MS Paint, so excuse the sloppiness...looks kinda weird at first)

mav_instr_cluster_-_brazillian_tach_-_both_small_original.jpg

I've actually looked into what it would take to actually modify one of these setups, and the biggest challange is finding a way to move the Fuel Gauge out of the way, to make room for a small Tach.

I've been playing around with a setup....and I'm not sure that I can move the Fuel Gauge out of the way, and still have the Fuel Gauge operate properly. Doesn't hurt to try.

Here's what the other member's concept drawing looks like, that I partially used for my drawings:
    integrated_factory_tach_small.jpg

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  2. jmgford

jmgford Member

Vehicle:
    '71 Maverick, '69 Fairlane 351, '12 F-150, '02 ZX2
    I have been working with a vendor for a couple months on a tach conversion package for our cars. Currently, we have a couple versions with a relocated fuel gauage and are still working on one retaining a factory fuel gauge. I am hoping to provide some more information here in a month or so.

Whatever it ends up being, it will have a factory appearing face and graphics.

3. darren

darren Member

Vehicle:
    72 302 Maverick
    Very nice. I like the black face myself. I'd love to get rid of my column mounted tach if I could.

4. cactusgrabber

cactusgrabber Member

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber
    That's great news Jack....looks like Darren and I aren't the only ones that would like an Integral mounted tach.

Yeah....I also think it is a nice idea to retain the Factory look. I wonder If they can make a version with the "Brazilian Tachometer" inspired face?...if so, that would be great also.

5. rthomas771

rthomas771 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '74 Maverick 250 5-Speed.'60 Falcon V8. '63.5 Falcon HT
    Think of all the cluster housings that will fall to pieces when people start to replace their gauges. Someone needs to be reproducing a replacment for these too.

6. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    A friend of mine makes these:
    http://www.mustangponycars.com/www/gauges.html
    We've talked about the issue with Mavericks, and he didn't think it would be a big deal to make it work. But he's a busy guy.

7. mvw66gt

mvw66gt Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    71 Comet GT
    What about using a tach from a 72-76 torino. It looks to be about the same size as the maverick unit and has the turn signal indicators, brake and hi-beam light. You would need to run a new fuel guage, alt, oil, etc. But I coudl see one of those three guage pods to run them. 72_torino_tach.jpg

8. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.

I would say that would be a tough piece to find.

9. jmgford

jmgford Member

Vehicle:
    '71 Maverick, '69 Fairlane 351, '12 F-150, '02 ZX2
    They are quite plentiful, as that same cluster (and dash) design was used up through 1979 in the Cougar and Thunderbird. Also, there was a high percentage of these cars that came with tachs.

10. predfan2001

predfan2001 David in Tn

Vehicle:
    70 Mav 75 Comet 64 Comet 68 Mustang
    Trash the factory gauges and go Eleanor style.

[​IMG]

11. mojo

mojo "Everett"- Senior Citizen Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT-302 4bl
    I like the Eleanor idea. Probably wud'nt work for those wanting factory look.

12. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.

Ranchero's too I suppose.

13. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    I guess you didn't see my post :)
    The signature gauges are really nice. My friend is licensed by Shelby to distribute these. Most of the Elenor "Builders" buy from him.

14. cactusgrabber

cactusgrabber Member

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber
    All of the above are great Ideas. Great discussion.

I'm wanting pretty much what I drew in my Concept Drawing. I like how the Brazilian Tachs use the same Ford font, and use the same Factory style Center dial-post. I went with the 8000 RMP ranged Brazillian style Tach dial, as opposed to the original 6K range, cuz I like that full-scale range better.

I admit, the modern Ford gauges for Temp, Oil, and Battery, are breaking from the factory design, but I would like Integral gauges for those too, while keeping as much of the Mav/Comet Instrument Cluster as original as possible. The analog gauges I'm working with are from a Ford Explorer.

Now if I can just find a way to keep the Fuel gauge in the original general location. It may take me recessing the Fuel gauge guts, while bringing the Fuel dial-face slightly forward, and re-working and calibrating the internals, and pointer.

*posted mobile...no signature when ya do that I guess.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  15. predfan2001

predfan2001 David in Tn

Vehicle:
    70 Mav 75 Comet 64 Comet 68 Mustang
    Yeah I don't usually click links. I didn't really mean use Shelby gauges, just aftermarkets in the same way the Eleanor builders do.

[​IMG]

I can't see it being feasible for anyone to engineer, develop and mfg a complicated tach/gauge assy for a Maverick. However, a person could use an aftermarket speedo and tach fairly easily. Then add gauges under the dash for oil press, volt and temp. You'd just have to put turn signal indicators somewhere, maybe small leds?? I don't think a brake light is needed, it's pretty obvious when your brakes loose pressure.