$150 sounds kinda high for powdercoating a manifold...

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by scooper77515, Feb 28, 2007.

1. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    I don't have an oven or a place for one, otherwise I would get my own setup and get started. I might give Ed a call and see if he can do it for me, if I cannot find someone locally.

2. scrapper60

scrapper60 MCCI Member

According to a friend that has been in the business going on 10 years now, It won't last on exhaust manifolds. His explanation was, "it is paint in powder form." Even though it's baked on at 350 to 400 degrees to melt it, it won't hold up to the manifold temps.

3. Rick Book

Rick Book Member

Vehicle:
    Missing my old '70 Maverick
    Scott, check out http://www.freecycle.org/display.php?region=US%20Southwest#Texas. I'll bet you can find a freebie oven (stove) that someone is wanting to get rid of.

Put it in the back yard, or better yet, in your Master Bedroom so Anna doesn't have to walk so far to make your breakfast every morning. She'll ove you for it.

(j/k Anna. :D)

4. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    If I got one it would HAVE to go into the back yard...

I will have to wait until I get a cool workshop like Ed, or upsize to a bigger house/garage...

5. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    $150 is way high. My boss charged $40 for the last intake I powder coated.

There is a high temp powder. I doubt it will withstand exaust manifold temp's though. It's more for like brake drums and stuff.

If you get an oven, make sure it's electric and a ventilated oven.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  6. stmanser

stmanser Looking for a Maverick

powder paint will withstand temps below its baking temp. for instance... if you buy a powder paint and it is suppose to cure at 350 degrees, then that is the temp that the molecules melt and starts to form a liquid. then you take it out of the oven and it hardens, and thats it. most powder will bake at 350-450 degrees for 15-45 minutes.

putting a powder paint on an exhaust manifold, that reaches 600 degrees, is not advised. the paint will heat up to melt point, and then drip off the exhuast manifold and then get on the exhuast, or surrounding areas due to the fan blowing over the engine, it would make a huge mess.

you can get the headers ceramic coated, but that goes into a whole different technique and heat range.

the intake manifold, depending on what you want coated, she be done on the outside only. the gas will eat away at it, and then the engine would ingest the paint chips and could be harmful.

i would assume that an legit place of business would charge under $100 for it. anyhting more than that, and the guy saw you walking in and said,, hehe.. i need a few bucks.. watch this.

did you show up in that new mustang? glistening in the sun, i bet he thinks you are made of money..

7. RabidCustoms

RabidCustoms sic minds demand sic toys

I got a quote of approx 130 for the complete rear end . didnt think that was too out of line..... but for an intake.....no way

8. scooper77515

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Nope, didn't drive up, just called. I have a couple of other calls out for better deals. I will accept anything under $50 at this point.

I really just needed a ballpark figure from others that have had it done, knowing that the $150 seemed kinda high.

By the way, the $150 quote was just the starting price, it would probably go up depending on ... ... ...

9. Jamie Miles

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    Actually, there is powder that will withstand 1200 degrees. It bakes at 500 degrees for over an hour. I wouldn't put it on an exaust manifold though.

I have done several 9 inch Ford and 12 bolt GM rear ends. $150, double coated gloss black at 200 degrees, baked at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. Comes out looking like wet paint and stays that way. Latest one I did this week was for a '69 Boss 302 show car.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  10. stmanser

stmanser Looking for a Maverick

cool
    what would you use the 1200* powder paint for? i suppose bbq grills and ovens?

11. Jamie Miles

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    Yea, I guess you could use it on grills and stuff. I was thinking it would be good for brake drums, calipers and things of that sort.