19 gallon gas tank and exhaust clearance

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Tumbler, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Tumbler

Tumbler Member

Vehicle:
    73 Ford Maverick
    I'm planning to install a 19 gallon gas tank, and I'm having some clearance issues with my exhaust. The tank is way offset towards the drivers side and the corner of the tank runs into an area where the pipe turns diagonally inwards. If I roughly line up the tank, everything on the drivers side is really tight. I have a two inch exhaust pipe, with an inch of room towards the leaf spring, and a quarter inch towards the tank. There's not much room for error.

Has anyone had any success with the 19 gallon tank and dual exhaust? I have an appointment with a muffler shop, but I'm going to have to wait awhile before they can see me.

WIN_20200922_18_18_47_Pro.jpg WIN_20200922_18_27_51_Pro.jpg WIN_20200922_18_27_30_Pro.jpg

2. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    Hotrock and BBMS18 like this.
  3. TeeEl

TeeEl Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Ford Maverick Resto-Mod
    It's better to run the tailpipes on the outsides of the leafsprings. The 19-gallon tank is no wider than the 15...

4. Tumbler

Tumbler Member

Vehicle:
    73 Ford Maverick
    Centering the filler may be my final option if all else fails. That seems like it may be expensive. I may be able too hire a friend who's a fabricator. Was getting the straps lined up with the grooves on the bottom much of an issue?

From my measurements the tank is the same width in the front, but it's 2 inches wider at the back. All of it is added to the drivers side of the tank

5. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    elongated the bolt holes and renotched the strap hole. I have some pics somewhere.

6. Static

Static Member

Vehicle:
    1975 Maverick 2 Door
    Running dual 2.5 pipes out the back on my 75. Its tight and I didnt relocate the tank.

7. Tumbler

Tumbler Member

Vehicle:
    73 Ford Maverick
    I got the exhaust taken care of and I made it fit. The biggest problem was the gas line was getting in the way. I had to bend the metal that sticks out at the seams out way down to get it to clear.

Now that I got everything assembled and put some gas in it, I found that the sending unit is leaking. I thought I did a pretty good job of getting the o-ring in there. Things are really tight around the sending unit. I'll probably have to take the gas tank out to get if off which I'm not looking forward to. I took the valence off to put it in, but I'm not sure how necessary that was.